"Philosophy is disfunctional" - Hallq

by bohm 27 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

?My problem with this “philosophy” stuff is that it is so isolated from the biological function from
    which it emerges. Animals have needs/desires. Animals make choices. Animals move. And
    animals orient themselves.

Aristotle, in his treatise on the soul refers to four capacities.

For the present let it suffice to say that soul

is the principle of the capacities we have named

the nutritive, the sensitive, the ratiocinative, and

movement.

Philosophy emerges from our orientational (sensory) system. It should give us orientation. If philosophy
    doesn’t give us an adequate orientation then we are living blind.

It is un-wise to separate our functions. They are seamlessly connected.. Philosophy has to be a
    “philosophy of” - philosophy of science, philosophy of government etc. How do you discuss
    philosophy without having a “philosophy of philosophy”.

Philosophy isn’t dysfunctional. It IS the function of an organism having to do with our sensory
    system and need for orientation.. Humans are dysfunctional.

• Naddia_the_Godless
    Naddia_the_Godless

JohnathanH stated: Materialism is the pragmatic view. Anything else is imagination.

Materialism is the belief that matter is reality. That is not a pragmatic view; that is an assumption, an affirmative claim that you cannot support. Science is pragmatic, but science "gets s**t done" with or without the belief that the physical world is reality. Science is a logical method. Materialism is a philosophical position, and it contains illogical assumptions about reality.

If psychic forces, or gods were discovered, they would be natural and materialistic for the very reason that they exist with or interact with our universe.

Some religious people assert that if there is a duality to human consciousness, an immaterial supreme consciousness (god) could interact with us on a non-material, unmeasurable level. Do you not see that as a possibility? Can you prove that an ethereal god cannot influence people on a strictly spiritual level such as through a soul?

We may not at present have the means to describe it, but if it has something to do with empirical reality, it is in the realm of science. If it does not interact with our universe then it cannot be demonstrated to exist, only asserted or assumed.

The problem with this statement is that you equate empiricism with reality. This is an assumption in itself. How do you know that the material world does, in reality, exist?

Scientist are still waiting for some one to demonstrate that materialism is false, or that there are other paths to understanding the universe other than logical positivism and science.

Other philosophical positions, such as phenomenology, allow for a scientific understanding of our world without making epistemological assumptions about reality. If scientists are waiting for someone to demonstrate that materialism, the belief in the reality of matter, is assumptive, they need only look at other competing philosophies. If they are waiting for someone to demonstrate that matter does not exist, they are guilty of the same logical fallacy made by theists. How could anyone possibly prove the non-existence of the material world? Not being able to prove that it does not exist does not mean that it does exist. If you make the claim that it does exist as ultimate reality, the burden to prove that claim is on you. I'm still waiting for a materialist to prove that matter is ultimate reality.

To claim that something is true is to say that it is real, and any claim of something being real (that is to say exists) requires some demonstrable evidence and evidence comes in the form of logical positivism, materialism and science.

This is a circular argument:

What is real is defined as that which can be demonstrably evidenced.

Evidence comes in the form of logical positivism, materialism, and science.

Therefore, materialism, logical positivism and science provide us reality.

Do you see the logical fallacy inherent in this argument? It’s just like saying:

Truth is defined as that which can be demonstrably evidenced.

Evidence comes in the form of divine wisdom through God’s Word.

Therefore, God’s Word provides us with truth.

You’re begging the question. The nature of reality, how it is defined, is the very thing in question. Your premises fail to support your conclusion.

If you cannot offer evidence of something, then you cannot say it is real or that it exists, it is just assertions of one's imagination. So we merely have the assertion that materialism is false without evidence that it is.

Nobody in modern philosophy, to my knowledge, is stating that matter does not exist. Your argument is as flawed as the theist who states that atheism is illogical because an atheist cannot prove that a god does not exist. Atheists aren’t trying to prove that a god does not exist. And relativist philosophy is not stating that matter does not exist. It’s a position of skepticism, agnosticism. How do you [i]know[/i] that matter exists in reality? Is it possible that reality is altogether different from how it is perceived? If that’s even a possibility, then you cannot claim that matter is ultimate reality. Materialism is a belief, an assumption, just like theism.

Notice, I’m not stating that science is false. Science exists with or without materialism.

If somebody wants to go down the road of epistimological nihilism and assert that we can't really know anything in order to destroy materialism, let them. And then ask them if they want some antibiotics next time they are ill. Science FTW!

You’re creating a false dilemma. There are philosophical positions other than materialism and nihilism. And this antibiotics argument demonstrates such a cursory understanding of modern relativistic philosophies. It’s sophomoric. It’s on par with creationists who say, “I know evil u shun is bullsh1t cuz’ I didn’t come from no monkey!” Seriously, at least make an effort to understand opposing philosophical positions, and attempt to debate them logically instead of lazily creating strawman fallacies.

Now I would ask of that statement "Why should philosophers and theologians be consulted on what existed before our universe?" We might as well ask a baker or a pilot. They are all going to do the same thing, namely make blind unfalsifiable assertions that make sense to them personally.

I did make that statement in a different discussion. The point of that statement is that science only deals with the material world, with matter. That’s as far as it is capable of going. Like formal logic, it’s a method, not a philosophy. If we want to speculate on what lies beyond the physical world, what existed before our universe, or the true nature of reality, we can create philosophies and theologies. I’m not advocating this, BTW. I was simply stating the inability of science to touch those questions. Science, as a method, doesn't care about why matter is here or whether or not it is real. It simply shrugs its shoulders as it goes about its discovery. Scientists may care. But their speculations are as assumptive as any other theology or philosophy.

As for them being blind, unfalsifiable assumptions I would whole-heartedly agree, and materialism is no exception.

Nad

• bohm
    bohm

Naddia, hello, i like the username :-).

If we want to speculate on what lies beyond the physical world, what existed before our universe, or the true nature of reality, we can create philosophies and theologies. I’m not advocating this, BTW. I was simply stating the inability of science to touch those questions.

Now heres the fun thing: How would you defend the positive claim that science cant touch the question of what existed before our universe? specifically in the light of theories like chaotic inflation or the various variation of quantum gravity which does that.

I am asking you this because you wrote this:

Seriously, at least make an effort to understand opposing philosophical positions, and attempt to debate them logically instead of lazily creating strawman fallacies

• bohm
    bohm

nadia: If that is what he meant, he should have titled the article Philosophy as an Academic Discipline is Dysfunctional. His title is misleading.

but he state as much in the first line of the article...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Has philosophy been over taken by the continuance of scientific mythology over the years ?

A C Grayling has some thoughts on what he thinks philosophy represents today or what it has evolved to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbeY9_NErCs&feature=player_embedded#at=488

His speech is about a half hour long but certainly worthy to listen the extent of it.

• Naddia_the_Godless
    Naddia_the_Godless

Bohm said:

Now heres the fun thing: How would you defend the positive claim that science cant touch the question of what existed before our universe? specifically in the light of theories like chaotic inflation or the various variation of quantum gravity which does that.

Good catch. That's a fair challenge to my comment considering the context. Let me clarify. My comments were in response to a comment of mine that JohnathanH brought over from another thread, one in which the discussion was about Nothing existing before the universe, the whole something from nothing argument. Inflation theory is scientific, but it simply pushes the question back further, unless we assume an infinite multiverse in which matter has always existed and given birth to new universes.

I'm not challenging scientific theory. My point is with regard to what existed before that, if anything. If you hold belief in a single universe, as was the case with the theist in the other thread, how do you know what existed before it? If you want to bring in inflation theory that's fine. It just pushes the question back further. Science can only deal with the physical, not what existed before the physical, if anything did exist before the physical. A multiverse includes time, space, and matter. Science can deal with that. It can't deal with the "Nothing," the immaterial, or whatever might have existed before matter and time.

Nad

• bohm
    bohm

Naddie:

A multiverse includes time, space, and matter. Science can deal with that. It can't deal with the "Nothing," the immaterial, or whatever might have existed before matter and time.

Again you claim a limit to science, and i wonder how you substantiate it. For instance science does not deal with nothing as it is, because nothing is not a well-defined term and has never been observed to exist -- it would be a very empty discussion. Does that mean science cannot potentially deal with nothing as you claim? I do not understand how you draw that conclusion...

For instance, does "nothing" obey symmetries? I think its a very fair assumption to impose symmetries (gauge symmetries for instance) on whatever existed before big-bang, because lack of symmetries would imply something had broken them (a larger assumption). However since i dont know what your "nothing" mean at all i will not claim such analysis is possible.

Furthermore science CAN deal with the immaterial in at least two ways: Primarily in the sence of subjecting various claims made about the immaterial to scientific study and showing that they are false. This has happened again and again, a historical example being witchcraft and a more recent the existence of the soul.

But i would like to turn the tables onto you: What are the primary results philosophy give us about this so-called immaterial world? having concluded (falsely, i think) science is unable to analyse this problem, what meaningfull results CAN you obtain which are supposedly outside the scope of science?

• Naddia_the_Godless
    Naddia_the_Godless

Bohm stated: Again you claim a limit to science, and i wonder how you substantiate it. For instance science does not deal with nothing as it is, because nothing is not a well-defined term and has never been observed to exist -- it would be a very empty discussion. Does that mean science cannot potentially deal with nothing as you claim? I do not understand how you draw that conclusion...

Science is not magic, Bohm. There are limitations to science by its very nature, a method based on observation of phenomena. It studies cause and effect, which requires time and space. There are some things that it is simply incapable of measuring due to the inherent limitations of the method. If you don't understand that, I think you need to study up on the scientific method. Besides the supernatural, it cannot measure aesthetics or morality.

I've never claimed that "nothing" has ever existed, and I agree that it is an ill-defined concept. Again, my response in that regard was to the theist on the other forum, wherein she stated that nothing existed before something. I've clearly stated that I am agnostic with regard to what existed before matter, if anything did at all. It's possible that matter has always existed and nothing has never existed, but if there was truly nothing, no matter, no space, no time, a complete state of nonexistence, how could it possibly be subjected to the scientific method?

Furthermore science CAN deal with the immaterial in at least two ways: Primarily in the sence of subjecting various claims made about the immaterial to scientific study and showing that they are false. This has happened again and again, a historical example being witchcraft and a more recent the existence of the soul.

If claims are made in such a way that they are falsifiable, the claims can be subjected to logical or scientific methods to see whether or not they hold true. The same is true for religions claims. Certain gods can be demonstrated to be nonexistent if their very nature by definition is logically inconsistent. That does not mean that science has shown a god, witchcraft, or the soul to not exist. How could science possibly prove the nonexistence of god, the soul, or magic?

What are the primary results philosophy give us about this so-called immaterial world? having concluded (falsely, i think) science is unable to analyse this problem, what meaningfull results CAN you obtain which are supposedly outside the scope of science?

What relativistic philosophy does is strip our assumptions and biases. It applies skepticism where skepticism is warranted. It recognizes the limitations to human knowledge and is okay admitting ignorance instead of making illogical assumptions and leaps.

Phenomenology, for example, is a philosophical position that considers ultimate reality to be unreachable. Presumably, there is an ultimate reality, but whatever it is humans are incapable of connecting with it well enough to know that what they are experiencing is actual reality. If there is even a possibility that the material world doesn't exist and that we are simply ideas in the mind of an immaterial god, or if reality is anything other than the material world just the way we experience it, then we cannot claim to know with certainty what the true nature of reality is.

Phenomenology dispenses with trying to understand reality in any absolute sense, and instead it deals with the relativistic "reality" that we collectively experience. The mind of the individual, the self, grows in relation to outside objects, phenomena, such as parents and nature. Knowledge is not absolute, nor is it purely subjective. It's obtained through an experiential dialectic.

In this philosophical system, the scientific method is just as valuable in a functional, practical sense as it is in materialism, but it stops short of claiming that scientific knowledge is absolute truth. Scientific knowledge explains what we observe; it does not make claims about ultimate reality. The benefit this has to science is that, the more we strip our assumptions and biases, the more honestly and accurately we can approach it. Materialism elevates science to a religious nature, belief based on the authority of science rather than scientific data. This is harmful to the discipline.

Phenomenologists are not claiming, as JohnathanH suggested, that science isn't functional. Phenomelogy doesn't reject antibiotics or encourange people to step off tall buildings because gravity might not exist today. It brings science down into the realm of human experience, and makes no claims about those things, those absolutes, that it cannot know.

Nad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit