Am I the only one who finds business witnessing to be tacky?

by keyser soze 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

ya tacky

• designs
    designs

No Room- I agree it was terrible. I think Witnesses should continue to go out exactly as instructed. Nothing gets people to wake up more than and want to leave like Tele-Witnessing, business witnessing, pushing buttoms on a high-rise intercom.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Mmm hmm. Very tacky and instrusive.

So of the formal types of ministry there's door-to-door, street and business witnessing. What next, some kind of leisure witnessing?

"Excuse me sir, I see you've just bought a ticket to the new Harry Potter film. Let me show you this scripture which explains everything that's wrong about that..." *takes out NWT*

Arrrrgghhhh!!!! Nowhere is safe.

• designs
    designs

For a real exciting Day in Field Service Pioneers around here would get on a bus and witness to commuters, go to the end of the line and return home witnessing to a new batch Yipeee!!!!

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I think ALL kinds of FS are tacky.

But I agree, bothering people at their workplace is especially bad. I consider so-called "informal witnessing" to be just as despicable. I don't want to be bothered by these kind of nutcases while I'm shopping or waiting at a bus stop either. I'm glad that I never did either...

V665V665

• new light
    new light

Yeah, it's tacky. A person at work generally cannot just do the HBH thing...they are much more a captive audience. It's the Witness way of saying "Now I gotcha!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had to enter office buildings in Manhattan after September 11th. Someone is telling a lie. My life turned overnight into a military state. Your name had to be on a list to enter the building. All sort of ids were required. About three or four. Even though I was on the list as a wanted visitor, it took me four or five hours to enter any building. MY pt was at Pan AM, Met Life, whatever. Right next to Grand Central. A major office building.

I went in for PT to a ghostly empty presence. Where were the people to bother? There was no doubt this building was an attractive target between its own fame in the skyline and Grand Central Station. Despite myself, I kept shaking with sheer fright. When I was prone on the table for stretches, I felt my body was being sucked out the window into an explosion. My body reacted, then I recalled why.

Grand Central had about six people in it for weeks. All my local restaurants were ghost towns.

Over time, security relaxed a bit but not by much. You needed to have a photo id for each building. Later, I read in the New York Times, that my building was selected as a high risk target. Devices were set to monitor biological/chemical warfare. Everywhere I turned for months, everyone was wounded. A Witness would not be tolerated well at this time.

Compare my stories to her tale and see which one is more believeable.

Proselytizing breaks every business norm of conduct. It is not a loving or educational act. Rather, it is warfare. People are least open to religious discussions at business. The good news should be spread from love, not hubris or defiance.

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's pretty much the same thing as those solicitors standing outside the doors of most supermarkets these days, the ones with a card table and a vague plea for support for "Vets" or "the homeless," who in fact are never identified. These solicitors can usually be found standing right next to the sign the store has put up, which says these solicitors are not welcome and should not be encouraged. At our local Trader Joe's, the sign is even more personal and concludes with this statement: "You can totally ignore them without feeling any guilt whatsoever."

That sums up how people feel about solicitors invading retail territory. You can be sure the dub leadership won't let solicitors come into their place of business - Bethel - and proseltyze.

And let's not even get started on "telephone witnessing," an ignorant strategy devised by people who live in a secure building in New York where telemarketers can't reach them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit