WHY have District Conventions??

by RagingBull 24 Replies latest jw friends

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

During Sunday's program of the DC..."donations" came up and there was mention of using "Debit and Credit Cards" WOW!...

So I started thinking... We have an Assembly Hall in our town? 10 mins from where we have our Conventions. Why not have our bro's and sisters from our State just meet there. Why rent out a coliseum?

Imagine how much it would cost the WTBTS if they were charged for the "clean up" at these events. Guess FREE LABOR comes in handy. Thousands of dollars are saved I bet.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Profit from renting hotel rooms?

I expect they make a charge per publisher for beforehand too.

I noticed in the drama that when the brother was calculating his ingoings and outgoings to see whether he could cut back his work hours, donations to the society were right near the top of his outgoing list.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I asked this question myself when I was still mentally in. I'm reading threads where many hear of Witnesses saying it was the best convention ever.

But,on the other side,it has become a burden to many. Maybe not if the convention is local for the members,but having to travel a distance year after year gets tiring. I know it did for me. And I'm single,I can't imagine what it must be like for families with small children.

My mother confessed to my brother who is an elder,that she really doesn't care whether she makes the convention or not this year. He said same here,and these are hardcore Witnesses we're talking about.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

On a different level, the answer is the same for many other questions:

• Why have a no-blood policy?
    • Why insist on shunning DA/DF family members?
    • Why keturn in monthly reports of field service?
    • Why keep track of all partakers at the annual memorial?
    • Why reject all holiday celebrations, both religious and secular?
    • Why refuse to serve and honor your home country?
    • Why should school children spend their summer vacations being "special pioneers" instead of playing baseball or soccer or climbing trees?
    • Why forbid attending religious weddings, funerals, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, birthdays, quinceaneras, etc. for friends and family members of other faiths?

A: The Watchtower uses all these as loyalty tests, to prove that they--a corporation in Brooklyn, New York--matter more to you than family, friends, country, even your own life!

If you are not willing to sit still for three days, listening to the same indoctrination you've heard before, spending the family's annual vacation budget to stay in an approved hotel and buy approved food, then you are not putting the Watchtower first. It's the first unwritten Watchtower commandment, the first commandment of any narcissist for that matter:

I. We are thy Lords the Watchtower. Thou shalt not put anything before us!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    spending the family's annual vacation budget to stay in an approved hotel and buy approved food

Is this so in the UK too? I've never heard of it. It's not the case in my area.

• designs
    designs

Part Promotion and Press and part OT Festivals.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

All about the Benjamins baby. In a little over a month, I'll be roughly $300 to $400 poorer, and the WT along with the hotels they've got deals with, and other businesses in the area will have increased profits. Not to mention, the increase in activity from those who say, "This was the best convention yet! Better than last years!! They just get better an better!!" Those same people will contribute more time and money to the publishing company at least momentarily as a result of the convention. It's sort of like a delayed high if you will.

• designs
    designs

Greg Laurie, Head of Calvary Chapel, put on his versions of District Assemblies, made big BUCKS at first then had a few clinckers and lost money- bye bye Harvest Crusades.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Chariklo-Well,here in the states,the congregations are given an approved list of hotels that the Rooming Department have supposedly negotiated a lower price. Some use hotels not on the list,but they are made to feel guilty,because then,that particular hotel will never reserve rooms at a lower price, if delegates for the convention are paying full price.

Then,we are counselled not to buy from food vendors outside the facilities,but instead,bring food you bought the night before. They want to keep vendors out of the facilities they rent.

You ought to see it when some dare go buy ice cream for their kids during lunch. The other Witnesses look at them like they got 666 stamped on their foreheads,lol.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The large crowd can give ones a big charge temporarily seeing the masses of JWs, so many in their boat. Maybe didn't feel so lonely at least temporarily then as a JW. JW kids at school can feel quite lonely having so many issues to deal with to go against the flow day after day. But as the years go by, one can feel very lonely in that JW crowd and many feel the emptiness as they leave to go back to their real JW world.

And as ones age, there isn't the need or the desire for a crowd so much any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit