I Did a Stupid Thing Recently

by 30 years out 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• 30 years out
    30 years out

Facebook has been a valuable tool for finding old friends and catching up on years lost making a living and pursuing our own visions of happiness. In one of my less inspired moments I decided to look up an old witness friend and roommate from my days in the church. He had never impressed me as being particularly strong in the faith so I was truly interested to find out what he had been up to for nearly 30 years and if he was still "in".

I located him through his sister's FB page and sent a message to his account stating who I was and that I would be very interested in hearing from him and catching up. I then went on to state that I am not involved with the organization and due to situations in my life I have no intention of changing that so if that affects his choice I would understand.

I then waited for about 5 weeks and when I did not receive a reply of any sort, I went back to find his profile had been deleted from every related page I could open. When my partner over heard me laughing I had to explain that they are so weak in their faith that a simple "no thank you" is too scary. Mind you I am 2,000 miles away from this person.

I am sure many of you must have had similar experiences which would be hilarious if not for being so pathetic. We are a wicked, wicked bunch and lovin' it.

• ziddina
    ziddina

LOL!

Now, I've heard about some paranoid JW reactions to someone's announcement that they've 'left', but that is one of the most extreme reactions ever...

• Velour
    Velour

He may have deleted it around the time an announcement was made about "the dangers of FB". And then seeing your message would confirm in his mind how "dangerous" it is.

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

He probably just blocked you actually. When someone blocks you, facebook removes every single reference of the person for you like if he had deleted their profile. It has happened to like 4 of my witless "friends". Found out their pages were still active looking them up on a friends account.

• Medina
    Medina

Just search for him on another account, Im sure youll find him then! No witness will ever delete its FB Account, its to valuable for them :P

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

nah, its not stupid at all. i'm sure we all have been there. i was on FB a few months ago and i found a girl that was in my cong prob 13 yrs ago and she was in a pic with a little girl, who i assumed to be her kid or sis since they lookd alike, and they were in what appeared to be halloween costumes. i sent a friend request and a message too with no response and can't seem to find her profile. so she's either still IN and JWs now do costume parties for no apparent reason with jack - o - lanterns ( riiiight) or, actually i cant think of an 'or' right now. its just dumb. lol

mochamint22

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well someone was stupid, but it wasn't you!

• fade_away
    fade_away

Hahaha, my mother is very paranoid of people who have left also. She would lose her mind if she caught me hanging out with someone who has left even though I left myself. Recently I told my best friend I left, but it wasn't until I explained my reasons for leaving (my research on the borg) that he decided to avoid me. I texted him several times and no answer. I called him and he forwarded my call to voicemail. It's been almost 2 months I can't get in touch with him.

I can't believe I can cause such fear in them. I'm not one to un-convert people. I state my reasons for leaving but I don't pressure anyone to do the same nor do I encourage them to stay. I tell my story and move on. Just like I never liked to push my beliefs on anyone before (one of the reasons I left), I still don't like it. So why fear me?

• Honesty
    Honesty

fade_away, that little demon sitting on the JW's shoulder tells them that everyone who leaves

the organization will destroy their faith if they have any association with the former JW.

• Scully
    Scully

Oh yes, it's happened to me too.

An old buddy who was raised in the JWs (never baptized though) found me a couple of years ago via FB. Eventually he suggested that I get in touch with his sister, who is my age, and who he described as virtually inactive with the JWs. I figured it would be safe given what he told me, so I sent a brief email to her offering some personal details of things in my life, and asked her if she would be interested in catching up.

Her email in reply was pretty terse. Her objective was to find out whether I was "active" or not.

I responded that I wasn't, but that I had no ulterior motive such as getting her to leave the JWs, and just was interested in how she was doing.

Her next email was quite disturbing, accusing me of trying to "down the truth", and that she wanted no further contact with me.

She did however use my email address to find me on FB and then "friend" all of our mutual non-JW friends from school. I didn't care for her using me like that, so I blocked her pathetic JW ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit