The use of citations in the watchtower (1950-2004)

by bohm 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

Found Sheep: Something like that :-). The problem was mainly to get the data off the CD, then its mainly about getting an idea of what to plot.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is interesting but I also feel other denominations would have skewed results. I'm Anglican. The gospels are the main part of the service. Usually an Epistle of Paul, then some strange OT reference. Since these books are of different length and written during circumstances, religions will skew me. For me, Paul's letters are the most central since they are the earliest. Revelation would be one of the least favored. I am shocked but now I read it as one beautiful book of a different genre.

The skewing does show the central core of what is important in a religion. Despite last days and FDS, Matthew seems overused. Mark is more apocaltypic in my book. My favorite, John, is not much used. I would say John is the most used in the Christianity for its gospel and even more so its theology. The synoptics on steroids. Matthew is so out of kilt. The author of Revelation, attributed to John, speaks of entering a trance in the first verses.

One of my first nonJW projects was reading a commentary on the Apocalypse that was over 1,000 pages long. Armageddon terrorized me so much that I even took care with the Koine Greek translations-without any background. This book freed me from Revelation worry.

My skewed results would be Psalms, Isaiah, Job, John, Romans, Corinthians, and a light mattering of Revelation for the beauty of its language. My prof started a Jesus Seminar at Columbia by asking us to write three adjectives describing Jesus. We had all taken NT. The only ones who wrote accurately were Orthodox Jewish men. She read Carl Jung to us, how we project our wants and desires, onto Jesus, regardless of his veracity. This is what makes him so beloved and universal. Our distortions of Jesus. I much prefer my distortions to Bethel's distortions. Notice that I freely state I must be distorting.

M

• TDaze
    TDaze

Holy shit, geek alert. I like you.

Also, lol @ Mark lagging behind all the other Gospels. Unsurprising, as Mark got a lot of shit wrong, which the writer of Matthew attempted to correct...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit