Have you ever done some volunteer work for your community? What did you do?

by Iamallcool 22 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

wow some great comments, it is refreshing to see people actually doing good in other ways beside selling magazines door to door !

Designs : For a second the old witness mentality of mine must have surfaced, I first read Surfrider Foundation as smurfrider,

sorry about that, it is great what you are doing

But back to the thread, since leaving the witnesses I have become a certified humane investigator for the state. Certified with FEMA to assist with animal rescue and care during disasters.

My dog is a registered therapy dog, we visit nursing homes/hospitals, and schools, and the local "read to the dog" program at the library. There are several elderly people in my neighborhood and I help them with yard care and home repairs.

And I am a guardian for Honor Flight Chicago, we fly WW2 veterans to Washington DC to see the memorial.

this is one of the most emotional, and in a different way a very "spiritual" experience for me, watch the video halfway down the page :

www.honorflightchicago.org

• designs
    designs

MIB-

I tried to join smurfrider but they threw me out

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is pretty easy, even in a small town, to find opportunities
    to invest time and effort for various projects or people in need....

i'm a regular volunteer for several large scale fund raising events
    including a 10K race across a frozen bay, a scenic bike tour,
    spring/winter boutiques-(food prep and serving) and whatever
    else the cultural center/museum requires, incl art show set-up

served on a board for a local chapter of a national
    LGBT advocacy organization, spent 3 LONG years
    as a moderator on a forum for adult survivors of
    childhood sexual abuse...

provided emergency shelter on at least 7 occasions
    for displaced individuals, usu due to domestic issues....

• Terry
    Terry

On the 1st and 3rd of the month I go with a friend of mine to the terminally ill Alzheimer's wing of the local hospital and talk, listen, mingle and befriend those who will never leave that wing (and they know it.)

It is a real sea change for me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Ive volunteered constantly since fourteen, even for a large portion of a very severe illness. It is said. Women could be secretaries,, nurses, or elementary school teachers when I grew up. Doctor shows were popular and the UN was always on the air during the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missle Crisis. I dreamed of being Florence Nightingale for my age. So I decided to combine my access to male doctors and UN obsession by being a nurse for the WHO. Only I was terrified of Africa. I became a candy striper. Teen age girls did simple grunt jobs and you were able to wear the coolest striped uniform with an actual hat. The outfit was the primary motivation. A scholarship to nursing school was available. I wanted to do a Ministry school stupid female sketch at a hospital setting so I could show off my uniform. My mom gently broke my heart. Adult men oooh and aahed over me in public for being a volunteer.

She said I would be severely criticized by the brothers and to never tell anyone at the KH. My maternal relatives were nut job Witnesses but would mind their own business. She was very proud of me. My father was annoyed to see my pride and happiness. B/c neither one of them would drive me through a rape prone park, I took three different buses to get to the hospital. He said charity began at home. I swore I would be charitable, just give me a list. He would be amazed, I would do thirty times more to keep my position and scholarship. He made me quit. I threw up before I called the director. It was a peak bad incident.

I volunteered at school and he never knew. Sneaking out b/hind his back, I volunteered for Eugene McCarthy, the only antiwar Democrat at that point. All I did was give out flyers but I felt important and there was great camraderie. When he died, I became active in a city wide student council, inflitrated by SDS and the Black Panthers. SDS used to drive me as my chaffeur all over the place. I continued to volunteer in progressive campaigns and travelled between NYC and DC frequently.

After college, I volunteered at the Anglican Cathedral in Manhattan and continue to campaign. When I became deathly ill, I had too much time alone so I commuted far to the cathedral and help with visitor services, playing a hostess. I became active in homeless ministries in two churches.

To be honest, my agenda was never pure. These were dating opportunities. They looked fantastic on applications for employment and school. My record of progressive volunteering helped me to receive a full merit scholarship to the 4th ranked law school.

Recently, I did legal volunteer work for a disability group. Selfishly, I received far more than I ever gave.

There is nothing I can say about the Witnesses that I haven't littered already. Decades later, it is a potent hurt. Every group I know, save the Witnesses, helps at least their own kind. The Mennonites here stick to themselves. They live in isolated pockets and number few. I read that they were almost executed by locals for giving food and shelter to dying British soldiers stuck behind enemies lines during Independence. Their charitable reach is global. Every little and immense Anglican church I've known has an outreach ministry where always more people volunteer than for church governance and liturgy. In my experience, the bias towards helping is to nonAnglicans. The Witnesses not taking care of their own kind and putting ridicule on the government that provides a safety net for Witnesses bothered my father more than any other point. He knew a lot of Bethel inside gossip.

My Newark, NJ congregation had about half of its members pioneering. There were foster mothers and AFDC mothers. Never took care of their kids. Many men were on disability. I may be wrong but I view this as government sponsoring religion through undeserved disability payments. If you can put in pioneer hours, you can work in the long run.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The WTS told us the real volunteer help was the preaching work. Personally I never got much satisfaction from it. But if I pick any one of the things on my above list it would give me 1000 times more satisfaction than I have every recieved by preaching. What a colossal waste of time the WTS type of volunteering is.I had an elder talk to me about helping a family who had a sister who was dying at home. They were Witnesses in good standing but the elder thought I should be out knocking on doors instead of helping this family during a most difficult and tragic time. I refused to stop helping this family.

The spirit of loving one's brothers was seriously missing in the WTS.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lady Lee,

Knowing what I do, it is still hard to grasp criticism of helping a dying sister. Do you think if you checked with Bethel, they would have backed him up? Sometimes locals go crazy. It is consistent with JW land. So very painful. Where do people like this grow? Besides, God gave us the ability to multitask. Rarely, does life require one or the other. I'm preaching to the choir.

• blondie
    blondie

I donate blood...and write a newsletter encouraging people to consider donating. I have served as a contact for surgeons wanting straight information about transfusions and jws.

I run a support group (not for ex-jws though) that meets weekly.

I work on a food donation program 3 times a year at work.

And if you have more money than time or still want to support an organization, donate. I donate to a child sexual abuse support organization, a local one. Amazingly there are other child abuse organizations but they want to keep their hands clean of sexual abuse/evidently helping children that have been beaten is more attractive. I also donate to an international group fighting coverups of sexual abuse of children in religious groups. I also listen to public radio every day the only respite from the howlers on radio stations that purport to cover the news, so I donate $1 a day giving up my afternoon coffee.

I pickup trash along the roadsides in my neighborhood as well as prune the trees in our subdivision rather than wait for the city to do it every 5 to 10 years.

In this area you can call 211 (like 911 but for volunteers) and find out what volunteer choices are out there.

• nugget
    nugget

I volunteered at 2 local schools helping with reading and support in class. I also ran an art club for years 5 and 6. I volunteer for school fairs and do the face painting and anything else needed.

I am also the secretary for the local scouting associationand help out at Beavers now and then. (Beavers first level scouting).

Busy busy busy doing stuff that helps people and me and makes a positive difference in the community.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

blondie

that 211 call idea is brilliant

It is amazing to see ho wmany have chosen to willing volunteer their time or other things to help others in need. Bravo to all of you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit