Did the Watchtower almost just go bust?

by TimothyT 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

BTW, Timothy, you have a PM.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

How much money WT earned in France if they have to pay $82,000,000 in taxes? Sorry for my English, isn't my first language.

• trillaz
    trillaz

Even though they didn't have to pay, no doubt that this will be the big news at local congregations and there will be a little extra in all the contribution boxes from the R&F.

• satinka
    satinka

Did the WT almost go bust? you ask...

Not yet, but it will!

satinka

• pallemar
    pallemar

strange how they hide under the "Beast" then they want to ;)

I thouth they saw him as evil ;) well i think here shoulde be addet some more to Human rigths, if you want to be protected by them, you need to follow them.

it is strange how WT can violate them on so many fronts, and then be protected by them.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The Brooklyn WT syndicate takes in almost $1 BILLION (with a "B") each year. they're talking about one of their minor subsidies - the French Branch office.

BOO HOO! Baby Jesus cries for them!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In total, the French government sought to obligate the Association of Jehovah’s Witnesses of France to pay 58 million Euros (over $82,000,000 US), which far exceeds all the assets of the Association. No other major religion in France has ever been submitted to such excessive taxation.

Your Joking Right?..

Thats Chump Change to the WBT$..

They are worth Billions and Billions of Dollars..

82 Million dollars won`t "Break the Bank" in Watchtower World..

................. ;-)...OUTLAW

• ziddina
    ziddina

However, the TREND will worry them...

As well it should.

It appears that many governments are beginning to 'paint targets' on sects and cults. If this trend continues, it COULD cause problems for the Watchtower Society - just like that lawsuit against Jerry Falwell caused - er, I should say, COST - the Watchtower their ability to set prices for the sale of their publications door-to-door...

Give it time... Eventually the trend will pick up speed, and someone - some country - who has their act together will successfully either push the Watchtower Society - and perhaps the Mormons, the Scientologists, and some of the Flying Saucer cults, as well - out of their country...

Or effectivel lawsuits will erode away at the "untouchable" status of sects and cults, and succeed in siphoning off their only REAL reason for existing - the cash income...

Zid the She-Devil

• pallemar
    pallemar

However, there is no final ruling yet as the judges did not rule on the demand to annull the taxation, restore the amounts seized — some 4.5 million euros plus interest — and pay damages and expenses.

http://www.canada.com/life/French+Jehovah+Witnesses+hinders+rights+Court/5032902/story.html?id=5032902

• dozy
    dozy

Even for the WTBTS , a $58 million retrospective tax demand is difficult (most of their money is tied up in bricks & mortar.)

Blame was attached to both parties here. The WTBTS for years sold their magazines & literature to the JWs so they were due sales tax and corporation tax on this income & sooner or later some country was going to go after this anomoly. They have since reorganised with the so-called "donation" arrangement & have formed different corporations to ringfence assets and closed Bethels in lands where they perceive they might face similar action (eg Spain / Italy.) In the UK (& presumably other countries) they have split up the "asset division" (IBSA) and the "operations division" division (WTBTS of Britain).

The French authorities were too greedy. Had they gone for a lower sum (eg $10 - $15 million) then I have it on good authority that the WTBTS would have settled.

I know a few JWs from France & the whole public attitude towards JWs is different compared to the USA (where essentially they are often regarded as just another religion.) They are regarded as a cult by most of the population and there is also an anti-American bias as well - same in the Benelux countries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit