Anyone here from The Netherlands?

by Medina 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Medina
    Medina

Hello,

I am curious of any of the members comes from the Netherlands and wich particular Congregation, I myself was in Emmen where Bethel was. Maybe we know eachother. Please respond.

BEDANKT!

• Robdar
    Robdar

I'm not from the Netherlands although I have visited a few times. Lovely land and lovely people. Welcome to the board.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Is the Emmen bethel couple with family name "Smans" familiar to you?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My great-grandparents were. They were solidly Dutch Reformed and held important positions in their ethnic church. My family summered in the Catskills, the Knickbocker country with Washington Irving. My ggf used to recite Washington Irving to me. They studied the Bible with the Bible Students. My family went from upper middle class entrepreneurs to very poor. There was a great chasm when Rutherford took control.

I travelled to Europe and we started in Londoon. We ended up in the BOAC office screaming get us out of here and get us some edible food. Amsterdam was our destination. I never though I could eat such great food in one sitting. It was a Boffy shop. Amsterdam was so hip. Much cooler than NY, my hometown. We were sick of American tourists so a small group of us took a day trip to a fishing village. I saw authentic canals. The children looked just like my brother and me. My eyes popped out as I spied my then deceased ggf walking down a path in wooden shoes. It was so picturesque.

We followed the same game plan every place we went. A few days of tourist, then off the beaten path.

One of the worst incidents of my life happened at the Hague. The housing was rat infested. I was hysterical. We stormed back to Amsterdam and the tourist bureau. I could not stop crying. My friend screamed "and she walks down 42nd St. every day at home." People upgraded their hotel reservations when they saw my hysteria. We ended up at the Hans Brinker hostel b/c it was modern. Some Texas high school boys were in the next room. They barged in screaming, "Devil Worshipers! Devil Worshipers!" I wanted to see a devil worshiper while I was in Europe. Sort of go for the whole European demonic experience. The real story was that Netherlands just won the World Cup a few minutes earlier and people were pouring into the streets to celebrate. I knew those Texas boys were going to have many more exciting experience than I was.

I resolve to return when I do Paris. Alas, student fares will no longer work for me. It is hard for me to imagine a Dutch person being a Witness. Protestantism took hold. The whole culture seems not deferential. If you have time, I'd love to hear a uniquely Dutch slant to JWs. Aren't you considered too Americanized and foreign?

The food was so great and the women had flesh on their bones. Their skin was rosy. If I return to London, I am bringing a food supply. We even went to London foreign restaurants hoping for improvement. It was bliss.

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

well, i am from the netherlands and have definitly some flesh on my bones... ;-)

i guess it is hard in the ministry for jw's in the netherlands. no growth here though. i am not sure how the numbers are now, but we used to have -1?? procent in 'growth'. and the people that join the cult are mostly women (single mums from the dutch caribean or surinam) or wacko's. :-p

you know me medina, i am shopaholic from paradise cafe. :-)

• Medina
    Medina

Hey Shop,

Thats typical I have the same experience about Growth, mostly women, and indeed from the caribbean! Ive never had the experience of a whole family (a stable) family comming in to the Watchtower Cult.

And yes Ive heard of the name of that Couple Hoffnung, but I do not know them personally.

• John Locke
    John Locke

Hoi Medina,

Im also from the Netherlands... was in Emmen Bethel a couple of times, know a few folks there.

Are you still Witness?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

John Locke,

Are you a politcal philosopher or just a handle?

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I'm from the Netherlands, NIETS TE DANKEN.

I cannot tell from what congregation, because i'm still attending, not regular but sometimes.

I hate this religion but I don't want to lose my family.

• Medina
    Medina

Mister Gorby!!!

Officially I am not DF, so Technicly I am a witness, for court I would Be one. But I will exit the faith as soon as i leave my parents home (in the next 5 years)...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit