Why Does God Need A Name Anyway?

by Room 215 18 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

God needs a Name that he write on the waist band of his underwear..

In case he`s hit by a bus and can`t talk..

It`s in the Bible..

.................... ;-)...OUTLAW

• AGuest
    AGuest

I am not sure what you're referring to, dear JHofer (peace to you!), but they did begin to call the golden calf they'd constructed, "JaHVeH". This was when, after waiting 39 days for Moses to return down from the mountain, they lost faith and built a god they could SEE. Unfortunately (for them), Moses returned on the 40th day. And he wasn't happy with them.

It's the same with the WTBTS... and religion in general: mankind has lost their faith (the assured expectation of the thing hoped for, the evident demonstration of reality... though not beheld) and so need something to SEE in order to believe in God. Hence, your churches, cathedrals, clergy, seminaries, statutes, icons, idols, images, etc.

But God looks for those who worship Him... in spirit, THROUGH the Spirit, in truth, THROUGH the Truth.

Faith is not a possession of all men.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

shelby, i'm talking about something about before the "flood".

• AGuest
    AGuest

Perhaps you're speaking of when Noah blessed Shem and cursed Ham through his son Canaan? Genesis 9:22 25

Because there is this mythological teaching that no one knew the name of the Most Holy One of Israel prior to His revealing it to Moses. But that's not true at all. ALL knew it... prior to Israel's migration to Egypt due to the famine. From Adam to Benjamin and their immediate offspring. It was while they were in Egypt... and adopted the Egyptian ways and religions... due to being outside of their land for approx. 400 or so years... and no one of influence after Joseph... until Moses.

At Exodus 6:2, 3, however, the translation gives the impression that the name was not revealed to Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob. But the translation is false. The words did NOT state:

"And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name JaHVeH was I not known to them."

To the contrary, they stated:

"I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob... I, the Almighty God... by my name JaHVeH I was known to them."

This is corrorborated by:

Genesis 12:8 (where, after building an altar to Him, Abram "called on the name of JaHVEH")

Genesis 27:7, 20 (where Isaac requested venison to eat before he blessed Esau "before JaHVeH" before he (Isaac) died... which Jacob, pretending to be Esau, brought to him prompting Isaac to ask how it came to be done so quickly to which Jacob responded "JaHVeH your God brought it to me.")

Genesis 28:12 (where, from above the ladder, the Most Holy One of Israel identified Himself as "JaHVeH" to Jacob)

Although in the world we live in the saying, "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear," can prove prudent, with regard to the spirit realm, one must learn to believe NONE of what one reads... unless it is corroborated by the One(s) who commissioned such writing or about whom such things are written. Which is done through holy spirit.

Or... continue to walk in the "confusion" caused by such contradictory writings, as a result of the false styluses of the secretaries/scribes.

I hope this helps and, again, bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

The tetragrammaton is probably a third-person derivation of a statement of being. Extracting every possible nuance from an ancient, dead language in a single word is not an exact science, so there is some debate. It does, however, makes sense that God - who referred to Himself as basically "I am" - would give us a name to refer to him that basically means "He is". JWs claim the tetragrammaton means "causes to be", but that's an assumption. "He be" or a better English way of saying it, "He is", is more likely. This really isn't a name, so much as a statement of God's existence, similar to the "Ehyeh" (I am) in Exodus.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

OUTLAW... love it.

Why is God in the OT so different from God in the NT? It is pretty clear to me they are completely different.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Branding.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Prodigal Son, your posts always impress me. Thanks for the link.

• free2beme
    free2beme

We personalize the spirit world with what we know in the physical. We see history with a beginning, middle and end. We see god with a figure, name and personality. All of these come from us making the spiritual world, our world, our comfort zone, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit