When did baptism turn into a wet T shirt contest?

by highdose 11 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

At what point did they require people to don a white T shirt? because lets face it as everyone knows... white t shirts become see-through when wet....

so if they are going for the argument that it protects modesty then thats rubbish, why not insist on a black t shirt that would really do the job?

instead people get baptised and as soon as they come up from the water whatever they were wearing underneath is there for all to see.

Am i the only one who can't help but suspect theres perverted leering forces at work here behind the scenes??

• mummatron
    mummatron

When swimming cossies became "immodest" I guess..?

I wore a white tee to mine. All anyone saw was the really boring plain black bathing suit I had on underneath.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Who cares what 8 & 10 year old look like under a wet T shirt? That's what the cult is after now isn't? Getting back to the question. Most of these people who get baptised now days are not used to being put on public display. Think about it most assembly halls have a pool next to the stage. Raised up in the air above the main floor for everyone to see. Most people hate that undue attention on them. Plus at lease were I came from many of the women getting baptised were really over weight. Most wore pants or shorts and a dark T-shirt. Totally ADD

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Is that a requirement now? I wore a tshirt---but I really didn't relish the idea of 2 thousand people looking at me in my bathing suit--at least when they were all still dressed, LOL. It's not like the beach. But I wasn't required to. Has that changed?

NC

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I had a pink swimming costume so I wore a pink t-shirt.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Dressed in "White Robes" perhaps?

• sizemik
    sizemik

I had a pink swimming costume so I wore a pink t-shirt.

That would go nicely now with your pink avatar BP

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Indeed, Sizemik, LOL.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

The KM's have said, as far as I can remember, "a modest bathing suit". Now, that's the written rule. We all know there are the cultural rules of the JW's as well. So wearing a t-shirt (I've seen all colors, not just white, though the men tend to wear white more often than the women...so you get to see their man-teats lol) in my estimation, is a cultural rule. For example, you won't see a rule in a Watchtower that states that you can't wear a colored shirt on an assembly part. But culturally, it's looked down on (and perhaps there was a letter sent to elders as well, I don't know. I've never seen it in print for public consumption, though).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the general feeling you get from a group that makes you conform. If you see everyone doing something a certain way, then you try to avoid the uncomfortable feeling of being pointed out as different and "not on the same page". Especially if you are a new convert! So, if everyone is wearing a t-shirt, then by golly, you're going to wear one too!

• flying under the radar
    flying under the radar

I just guess the brothers need something to look forward to....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit