So where are you now?

by fade_away 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• shamus100
    shamus100

I'm where I"m at.

Rather than feel sorry for myself, I've learned from my experience, and am so thankful that I'm not in Bangladesh maimed, begging on the streets. We all grieve to an extent, and when your grief is over, you will know, kitten. ;) Been there, done that...

• Quendi
    Quendi

I went back to college in my forties after dropping out in my twenties. No, my degree did not lead to a fantastic job with gobs of money. I got a BA in geography and mathematics, but I never regretted returning to school and studying those things I was most passionate about. To me, that is what an education should be about and I pity those who have been told that higher education is only a tool Satan uses to turn people away from God.

They say a rolling stone gathers no moss. I know how true that is. All you have to do is look at Witnesses who have let the organization set life goals for them. They have stagnated. Their God-given talents and abilities are being wasted. They have shut the door on many opportunities and worthwhile life experiences. And many have been forced to take jobs that are anything but satisfying. The WTS tells people that the only worthwhile work is the fulltime service--their definition of fulltime service at that. That is a lie.

Jesus came to save our souls, not to lose our minds. So don't throw your mind away simply because an isolated, out-of-touch coterie of old men in Brooklyn want to stifle your abilities. I'm glad you are finally pursuing your dreams. And as others have said, education is a lifelong journey. You are never too old to learn, never too old to use the talents you know you have and to find others that are waiting for the chance to be exploited to your benefit and that of many others. I wish you every success in your life. You deserve it.

Quendi

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I started college at 27 as a single mother of 2 kids. I have worked 2-3 part time jobs at a time to pay my rent while carrying 15-24 credits a semester. I have won thousands of dollars in scholarships (I go after the little ones that no 18-year-old wants to write an essay for)and taken out some student loans.

I believe that I was meant to travel the path I walked and my perspective is wider because of it. You are in control of your own destiny. It is not too late to live your dream!

• Free!!
    Free!!

Cuz is never too late!! look at me!! i am back in school and regardless of what your wifey says i do love it!! i know is going to take a few years before i get my degree and is going to be a little later than others, but it doesnt matter... we are still young and there is many things we can do!!

You know there are many great schools for graphic design and video game design... don't stop searching and dreaming!!

It pisses me off how JW keep teaching their kids to be mediocres! they are middle age window cleaners of line factory workers w no dreams! is sad for all those kids whose dreams are shattered and more when you think about how they will feel 60 years from now.... when they are old and Armagedon never came!

• What Now?
    What Now?

When I was in high school I wanted to be a teacher. Now, I go back and forth between photographer and midwife (complete opposite ends of the spectrum, I know). When I was pioneering, I thought the perfect, well paying part time job would be as a medical secretary, so I did take a night school course related to that. I did really well in it too, I got a final grade of 100 percent! I never did end up finding a job though. I keep saying "I'm going to go back to school", but it's not as easy as it sounds, especially now that I have a child. Plus, I've been out of that whole "school mindset" for almost 10 years (yikes! I'm 26!), so I don't even know if I have it in me to get back into studying, writing essays, homework etc. I love baking, so I would love to explore that, maybe get into cake decorating. That would be a little more realistic.

Wow, my interests are all over the place aren't they?

• EntirelyPossible
  • ChunkyMonkey
    ChunkyMonkey

I tried to post last night, but couldn't on my ipad. Stupid ipad. Anyway, I specifically remember an assembly where an elder gave a talk and 'suggested' that going to college was a waste of time in this system of things. He then 'recommended' that it would be ideal for young christian brothers and sisters to inherit a buisiness from their parents instead. You know, like a cleaning buisness or a carpentry business -- because, really, that's all us witnesses are good for. I wanted to scream -- WHA WHAT?!?!? Both my parents and I were enraged! Sometimes we still talk about that as the stupidest thing we've ever heard at an assembly.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I have no job, no money, no retirement fund....the wts destroyed my life....and I let them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit