How Do You Respond To: Like Early Christians, JWs Go "House-To-House"?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Right; so if we love God, each other and others we'll be a truer from

of worship than the WTB&TS. They have proved to love themselves,

the boy's club, and pedophiles, just to mention a few. H to H was Jesus

training for the twelve disciples; in the end times it's love, not D to Dsales.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I would remind them of another scripture about going house-to-house, Acts 8:3

Saul then began doing great harm to the church; he went from house to house arresting both men and women and sending them to prison.

• designs
    designs

I say let them go Door to Door, it was the second reason I quit, you need to let the frustration and idiocy build to a level that they become thoroughly convinced there must be more to life. Take a poll sometime and find out how many of us quit because of the Door to Door work.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Desirous of Change said: Love your well researched comments, Blondie!

Thanks hon....but Ah's Mary, not Blondie......

I'M SORRY!

THANKS! MARY! I had this discussion with a friend recently whose main support of JWs is they are the only ones following the Bible's command to preach house-to-house. (Of course, he is right according to his Bible.)

• godrulz
    godrulz

Building big doctrines and practices on proof texts out of context is not atypical for cults.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is no proof that early Christians went knocking door to door. I would say the chances are slim b/c they were in constant threat of martyrdom. Marytyrdom became so celebrated that it was viewed as your real birth day in Christ. People were so eager to be martyrs they were not prepared and renounced neighbors and friends who were not ready to commit to the step. I assume they used the mass communication of the day. Speaking with individuals and speaking in markets as Paul does in Acts. An early church preparing territory and keeping track of it being worked is preposterous.

Paul certainly travelled and there are legends of the saints travelling far in various directions but these are legends only. Maybe there is some truth in them. The early church had to be rather disorganized. Diversity was certain so I doubt there was any one practice, let alone a rigid cult as to what to do. People followed Paul around to refute his gospel so he was a travel industry in itself.

I believe they would use mass communications today. Christians are still tortured and martyred in most of the world. You Tube, radio spots, cable TV. and speaking to individuals as found in every day life but not trolling for them. When you read accounts, people converted not so much out of rationa belief but by experiencing Christ in the present in their normal lives.

The Society has a very long habit of putting in informative data in the midst of not true analysis. Where others sees perhaps eight strands of thought, they see only one. Others admit error, not the Witnesses. Scripture analysis is hard knowing history and the languages. Reading consecutive verses for long periods is important to understand the whole story. Jesus or Shakespeare said anyone can quote scripture to prove their purpose. The Bible is such a gigantic compilation of books of different genres. I bet I can prove the moon is made of green cheese from scripture alone. It doesn't mean moon rocks don't exist.

This cult authority is what bothers me far more than mistaken scripture analysis. They believe crazy, off-the-wall stuff, but so do other people including myself. The Witnesses have a set up. Ask your own questions, use a real Bible, have a different format than you suggest and you will see just how much knowledge they have. If you are listening for more than a few minutes, the cult magic is already working on you.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

JWs prove they are the true religion by going d2d...

"How's that working for you? How many people have you saved? How many years have you been doing this? Do you think your average number of converts is the same for most JWs? So in 20 years, you have converted 3 people. Kind of slow, isn't it? Do you really think that 99 percent of the people in the world are evil and deserve to be destroyed? If god reads hearts, why does he need you to go d2d? By your reasoning, wouldn't people be better off if they never heard of your religion, so that they might be spared by god to learn about it later? Oh, you say that anyone who isn't a JW is doomed, no matter how good they are?"

• godrulz
    godrulz

I would defend the need for people of faith to share their beliefs by any means possible if it is true. My beef is that are spending their lives preaching a false teaching that enslaves vs saves people. As well, even if true, door-to-door is one of the least effective methods (thx to JWs ruining it for everyone; in Britian/America, the home is the castle and we do not want intrusions; in other countries, people invite anyone in to be hospitable, even if there is no interest in the message). Our mandate is to share and God draws/converts. If JWs had the Holy Spirit, they would see much more growth given the hours they put in. With the Spirit, Christian churches are growing explosively worldwide. Many Christians have not seen many converts, but the message is true. Even if a Mormon missionary has fruit, the message is still false (Muslims also convert/attract people and other Muslims become Christians, etc.). So, we should share our faith even if no one is actually converted. The gospel can be freely received or rejected and God does not even force conversion.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Yes godrulz ; but the KJV has also become a "false god", so what do we do about that?

• BU2B
    BU2B

bump

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit