Convention Weekend

by Lunatic Faith 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Everybody in my area (JW's) is at the convention this weekend...and I'm not. I didn't realize how really great I would feel when this weekend came. I'm not sitting in a crowded coliseum, on uncomfortable chairs, sweating in my nylons, creating new blisters on my feet, juggling note books and bibles and wishing all the people around me would disappear. I actually used to find conventions exciting and paid rapt attention. Now I am just glad not to have to deal with it. They were great when I was single and young but they have become a major stressor.

How many are still grateful to not attend conventions and assemblies? What do you find to do with the money you save? More camping? More beer?

• moshe
    moshe

You know, for the life of me I can't recall what the last summer assembly was about- it must have been at St Petersburg, FL around 1985-86. I just remember the crush of people and the rush to get out of the parking lot ahead of the rush. The kids hated them, seats were hard, talks were boring as hell-

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I'm happy to not be going. I got tickets to a concert for that Saturday. Everyone believes I just go another week. One sister asked me to stay with her pets.

• scooterspank
    scooterspank

I had a wonderful weekend until my mother came home from the assembly completely batshit. That being said, there is nothing I miss about assemblies except for the new clothes.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

On the 12th of this month hubby and I went to an event at the Sacremento Hyatt. Across the street from the Hyatt is the Sacremento convention center. Would ya know we saw jws all over the place. It wasn't a pleasant experience. Hubby wasn't impressed by all the cheap suits and shoes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I find myself being able to pay more attention to the details now as an apostate than I did while actually attending the damn things. In 2009, I remember the new songbook being released (the one that everyone hates). In 2010, it was the "a generation" debacle. And now, it's the playing down of the meaning of the toes on Daniel's statue.

All this without having to worry about attendants, listening to that new Kingdumb sxxx, being used as a gateway by everyone in the aisle, having a bunch of men (and boys, usually teenagers) around me doing whatever, balancing Bibles and notebooks on my lap, finding a place for my bags (the lunch bag as well as the book bag), and making it out in one piece.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Plastic smiles

Cheap suits

Brown bag lunches

Sweltering temps

The faithful and discreet slave appointed by Jehover, blah, blah, blah

Cute chicks in sexy outfits and mega heels

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I miss the Shasta colas and hoagies.

;-)

-MF31-

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Oh God, I helped make the hoagies one year and that pretty much made me hate the things. I miss the cheese danishes and frozen orange juice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit