Would You Refer To Jehovah's Witnesses As A "Christian" Religion?

by minimus 52 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

They regard themselves as "true Christians".

Do you view them as Christians?

• sizemik
    sizemik

No . . . not by definition or character

• minimus
    minimus

But they are a model of first century Christianity.....

• sizemik
  • sizemik
    sizemik

seriously . . . I don't think they bear the slightest resemblance to what first century christianity might have been like. Their selective cafeteria style scriptual applications are like the small print on an insurance policy . . . not what they seem

Their disregard for basic christian principles (do unto others . . . ), in favour of a legalistic application to support their organisational objectives, becomes more and more obvious the longer you've left. There an aberration of christianity . . . at best.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I might refer to them as a "Christian Cult" which is probably an oxymoron; perhaps a "cult of Christianity" then.

Individually, I would hesitate to say they could not be Christians. I have met some that I believe sincerely love Jesus Christ, but I question whether they actually have a relationship with Him. How can you come to, call on, and share your burdens with an angel? That's called spiritism.

• Essan
    Essan

No the JW's are not Christians. The bear no resemblance to the first century Christians. And they don't preach what Christ preached.

Unless "false Christian" can be accepted as a type of Christian? In which case they may qualify on that definition.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

On an org chart of religions, they are most definitely Christian.

However, many Christians will regard them as being non-Christian, for a variety of doctrinal reasons.

From the outsider perspective, however, they must be classified as Christian, just as Osama bin Laden must be classified as having been Muslim.

• Girlie
    Girlie

They are an anti-Christ religion and how could they call themselves Christian when they replace the very cornerstone of the faith with imperfect men? They might as well call themselves "The Governing Body Order of Jehovah's Witnesses".

• Quendi
    Quendi

Few "Christian" religions resemble first century Christianity. That definitely includes Jehovah's Witnesses. The mainline churches, despite all their talk about having a "relationship" with Jesus and accepting him as a personal Savior, bear little or no resemblance to the Christianity presented in the New Testament either. Individuals can certainly be Christians, but I don't think organized religions are.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit