Those sweltering assemblies!

by highdose 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Count yourselves lucky, there was a chill wind at Sheffield Wednesday!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Wow ...mention Twickers and my memories flood back to the Light Bearers DC ... wasn't it summer of '92 ?...anyways I had massive problems with the ex...so much distress...my married daughter was there with her full on JW in-laws...saw me and her younger brothers as an embarrassment cos we were struggling with the upset...not to mention the financial difficulties...I went off in desperation at lunchtime into a kind of field at the side of the stadium so that I could literally break down and cry without bothering anyone....I couldnt hold it in.

I remember bros and sis passing by and seeing me sobbing... and looking baffled...noone came over and offered any comfort or assistance though...they were too busy being 'happy' at the convention I suppose... a part of me died that day....awful....just awful.

Loz x

Oh yes and it was hot !

• noolite
  • St George of England
    St George of England
    Count yourselves lucky, there was a chill wind at Sheffield Wednesday!

Went there once, Don Valley I think it was called.

The most interesting thing I remember was the steel works along the road. You could stand by the open door and watch enormous ingots of steel be forged into shape.

George

• luna2
    luna2

Sounds like the WTS spread the discomfort around the world. I guess, in their view, its all about what you will sacrifice to them (the WTS) in the name of Jah.

When I was first a dub, I lived in Illinois. We had our Circuit Assemblies in a relatively comfortable facility in Wisconsin, but for the DCs, we had to haul our cookies into Cicero to either one of two race tracks (equally uncomfortable and dirty). There was some indoor and some outdoor seating. I believe the indoor portion was supposed to be air conditioned, but with glass everywhere, the passive solar heat overwhelmed the air conditioning in most areas. I also remember the reverb of the microphones so that it was really hard to make out what the speakers were saying. A couple of times we got there late and had to sit outside. We were burnt and sweaty by mid morning. As everybody else has said, I remember very, very little from any of these conventions except the discomfort and how important it was to get there early enough to acquire the best possible seating.

I am only thankful that I wasn't a dub during the years when they had 12 hour convention days that lasted a week. I heard stories about my great aunts (who were JWs) going to Chicago conventions and they would leave the venue to attend tea parties that other jws would have in their hotel rooms. I can only assume that it was to beat the heat and stress of those long, long days. I guess they weren't as strict in their congregations or something. Although, since they were coming from Ohio to attend, maybe they didn't feel as much pressure.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Veteran's Stadium Philadelphia was a literal HELL HOLE.
    The place was like a solar cooker. Did enjoy when our convention proceedings were interrupted by the Live Aid concert in 1985.

I remember that concert. It made for even more horrendous parking.

Of course the dubs loved the comparison of the rowdy concert to the clean orderly assembly.

No matter how hot it was, you had to wear a tie.

Vet stadium what a hot, sweaty waste of time !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit