Is the Bible an idol?

by Nickolas 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

There is one basic distinction I no longer share with those who adhere to one of the many Abrahamic religions and that is the holiness of the Bible. It seems to be the common thread in the religious beliefs of half the planet (although muslims dismiss the Bible as an "earlier revelation". Sort of like Islamic New Light taken to a much higher order). People seem to worship the Bible, like an idol or some sacred talisman handed down from the distant past and the only way to figure out how to:

a) get a ride on the UFO that is hiding in the stream of the Hale-Bop comet

b) be one of the lucky minority who gets swept away in the rapture along with Harold Camping (in October, I think).

c) believe as a Jehovah's Witness believes (however much what he believes continuously changes) and therefore get to pet lions on paradise Earth forever, and ever, and ever but only after you clean up all the bodies left behind at Armageddon, including those of your most beloved friends and family whose heart conditions were not satisfactory to Jehovah. Those, he'll destroy horribly. But He's a Loving God. He loves you, anyway. All those other billions of people? Forget about them. Bird food.

d) be one of the lucky majority who just has to recognise all the stuff in the Bible that's bullshit but live according to the parts you can still accept, and most of all just believe in God and everything will be fine. That's the most important thing. Believe in God. The rest you can tailor make yourself. Sort of like picking out the grain from the chaff. There's a bunch of chaff in the Bible, but it's still basically sacred and the key to living in heaven, or someplace like it.

If you are able to put aside for a moment the message(s) in it, the physical bible itself is revered, as if it is an entity, as if it is an idol. I am sure that any believer visiting the back woods who entered an outhouse and came across a bible with half its pages torn out would be outraged or at least wounded. The Koran's the same way. It's sacred. Hear about some nutjob pastor in Florida torching one and the whole world goes berserk.

What seems clear to me is the Bible is an ancient work of fiction, as is the Koran. But it and the Koran are both worshipped. Those who worship the Bible think those who worship the Koran are wrong and will pay with their spiritual lives, and vice versa.

• tec
    tec

If you worship the bible, then I guess that would make it an idol. But I also think something can be considered holy or sacred without being worshipped.

Peace,

Tammy

• trevor
    trevor

Something I posted 10 days ago. I would write something new but it's all been said before...

It seems that the fact that the Bible is known as Holy Bible has been over-looked. Christianity has been a Bible based religion for many hundreds of years, accepting the Holy Bible as God’s written authority. This is why it is still used to swear people into court. Its contradictory manner and content has put many people off adopting Christianity.

If we start picking the pieces that suit our particular persuasion and dismissing the inconvenient bits, it ceases to be Holy. It becomes just a biblia or collection of books. Bible also means authoritative book which other religions also have. If The Holy Bible is just a collection of men’s opinions and not the Holy writings of a god, we have to ask if it even qualifies to be called an authoritative book?

Personaly, I have no problem with accepting the Bible as just a collection of man made attempts to understand the Christian god. But then I do not claim to belong to a Bible based religion that is now working its way back to its roots and trying to manage without a Holy Bible.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

If someone considers the Bible to be infallible and God-breathed, and in their mind it is the benchmark to determine "truth", while everything else is from the devil, then yes, it's an idol, a golden calf.

It appears that it was also a problem in the first century....

"You are searching the scriptures, because you think by means of them you will have eternal life." ~John 5:39

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

That really all depends on who you ask. I think most modern JW's wouldn't hold it at that. In fact, they probably place more importance on their magazines...

Nickolas, anything can be made an idol. It's not fair to generalize and catalogue the Bible as such.

At the very least, even if it is a work of fiction, it certainly allows us to peer into the past. So as a historical book, it certainly has value.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

So as a historical book, it certainly has value.

I agree entirely. The Bible has tremendous value as an archeological artifact. It's been bastardised into the vernacular over the ages but the oldest versions still provide tremendous insight into the minds of early civilised humans, albeit in only one small part of the earth. But it's time to leave it behind with the other artifacts and live our lives in the modern age. It's wonderful, but it's not everything. The world is bigger than the ancient middle east and Mediterranean.

• Fernando
    Fernando

For a painstakingly well researched and free 169 page e-book that discusses this topic in detail in chapter 2 on page 23 (plus much more related to surreptitious Watchtower style "Pagan Christianity" and "Christless Christianity"):

http://www.christinyou.net/pdfs/Christiantynotrel.pdf

Greetings and blessings

Fernando

PS - Those that enjoy this e-book may also be interested in the books titled "Pagan Christianity" (Frank Viola and George Barna) and "Christless Christianity" (Michael Horton) which can be purchased from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk (free shipping to most countries at present).

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Thank you, Fernando.

Something I posted 10 days ago.

I will follow up, trevor. Good night.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We had a discussion about this at our Oasis discussions at St. Andrews. Many do idolize and worship the Bible. The good news is a lot of people don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit