Guys!! Guys!!! Two Jehovah's Witnesses were just at my door!!

by ziddina 52 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

well done!

i wonder how many hours of contra-preaching are needed to convert a JW. in a german forum i read that a publisher needs to do about 94,000 hours of field service to convert -1 (minus one) new publisher

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Addressing your comments to the 'weak' one, the one that wants to stand back, or is younger, is always a good move.

Well done

Chris

• LV101
    LV101

AWESOME. i think you should be on the religious radio station -- maybe call it reality radio. YOU ARE SO KNOWLEDGEABLE AND you've really done your homework/impressive. is there a book i can learn all this info like fast --- say, one of those religious for dummies books.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Skeeter:

"If you get a return visit and want to really blow their minds....talk about the parallel's between the life and works of Buddha and Jesus Christ....and how Buddhism infiltrated the Middle East due to interchange between the two cultures years and years before Christ was born. ..."

Well, Skeeter, I had read something to that effect before, but when I brought it up on another thread on this forum, someone corrected me and stated that pre-Christianity Buddhism was actually somewhat different from post-Christianity Buddhism...

So I've got to do some more research on the subject before I spout off on something I don't know that much about.

Black Sheep - always love your comments!! Wish YOU'd been here, instead of me!

But:

"Addressing your comments to the 'weak' one, the one that wants to stand back, or is younger..."

Actually, I addressed most of my comments to the older woman, until she refused to open her bible to the account of Moses and the bronze serpent. At that point, she was pretty much done with me. It was the young girl, at that time, who remained on the porch, which told me that she was more interested in hearing more...

LV101:

"...i think you should be on the religious radio station -- maybe call it reality radio. YOU ARE SO KNOWLEDGEABLE AND you've really done your homework/impressive. is there a book i can learn all this info like fast ..."

LOL!! No self-respecting religious radio station would have me!! Just to 'fast-track' you - there unfortunately isn't an "Origins of Religions - for dummies" book - though that is a REALLY great idea, by the way! - But back to 'fast-tracking' you to the answers you seek...

Look up "Leolaia" and click on her "Topics posted" list - she is one of the best scholars I've seen on this site. She's covered a LOT of interesting and little-known history about the bible that would probably wake up even the most zombie-fied JW...

Also AK_Jeff, and Terry and several others that I've probably forgotten to mention... I don't know whether any of them have focused on goddess worship, as I have - but if you want to research a belief system - systems - that are far older than the bible, I'd start with goddess worship.

Just make sure that the authors of any books you choose, have a reputable and established basis in the scientific community. Degrees from Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, and any reputable U.S. or British college would do...

I would also recommend reading as much about archaeology, paleo-archaeology, and paleontology as you can stomach.

But hey, thanks for thinking I am knowledgeable!!

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

LOL @ OUTLAW's illustrations!!

Aw, Nugget! Thanks! I hope they learned something... Or that I at least rattled their cage..

Can'tLeave - I WUV you too!!

Girlie!! I loved your comment about "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" on another thread!! [Can't remember WHICH one, right now - dayymed alzheimers... ]

Sizemik - I sure wish there was more I could do for the young JWs... I wish I could provide some sort of 'safe' house for them; a place where they could live - with reasonable adult supervision - as they obtain a decent education and establish themselves in their new, young lives - one independent of the guilt, fear, and control of the Watchtower Society...

Hey, Rocky_Girl! Who knows? As I said to Sizemik, I sure wish I could provide a safe haven for her- and others - to deprogramme themselves...

Straightshooter - uhm, while I was working at the local fabric store, some JW woman walked in and recognized me from 30+ years ago!! So, if I ever do attend some of the local KHs - incognito - well, I sure HOPE it will be incognito...

J. Hofer - Dang!! and all I had to do, was keep reading the same topics that I've enjoyed since I was a kid - as I stated before, archaeology, paleo-archaeology, paleontology, geology, vulcanology, and so on...

Not very many hours there - wish I could have spent ALL of my spare hours as a kid, reading on those subjects, instead of being bored at the KH...

Thanks all for your comments!!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

The reason JWs get so frustrated, hate preaching, and are putting in like 8 hours a month on average, is because they're wandering the streets looking for someone who knows less than they do. That's got to be an uphill battle. No wonder they like the ghettos so much. They can't stand their ground with anyone with any information - true or false - so they run away, often calling names.

I've had elders drag me from doors where they were crashing and burning with people I could have had excellent conversations with. They really go nuts over

"keep an eye on yourself, for fear you also may be tempted" - Gal 6:1

because they can't defend their flimsy beliefs at all. They hold up Watchtower articles as if they're crucifixes to "vampires" of knowledge and education.

I always enjoyed talking to atheists, agnostics, born-agains; so long as they weren't just as brainwashed and arbitrary as the JW cult members were in their beliefs. The vast majority of JWs have no clue what to do when they encounter someone with any knowledge of the Bible - or anything else, for that matter. They're all out looking for the apathetic and ignorant; just like themselves. That's the majority of JWs now and the next generation is going to be even worse.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Ahhhh, you went after the younger Eve. LOL Nice job Zid.

NC

• talesin
    talesin

This is EXACTLY the type of conversation that might have got me thinking as a young woman --- good on ya!

It's wonderful to me, to learn how many of us have learned so much, and humbling to see how folks like yourself deal with a confrontation that I would find impossible.

xo

Jen

tal

• flipper
    flipper

ZIDDINA- Brilliant ! Absolutely brilliant ! I'm in awe. But it shouldn't surprise me- you are one of our most intelligent posters ! I find it hilarious that the older brunette lady was jamming down the stairs and the teenager was listening to you. I bet you did plant a seed inside that girl ! Good for you. Hopefully more of us will do that when JW's come to our door. Good job Zid

• LV101
    LV101

would appreciate the learned bible scholars (JW's or believers in God/Jesus) on board refuting/objecting to ZID's comments with the two witnesses at her door today. thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit