ZidGrips and ZidChains....

by ziddina 19 Replies latest social physical

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's a little idea I've been batting around for a while, and I finally produced several pairs...

For those of you who followed the "Mouthy" situation, when she fell down, perhaps you know that I sent a pair of "YakTrax™" to her. They're produced commercially, and are made to slip over one's shoes to provide a grip on icy streets and sidewalks.

They're fine for the occasional usage, but when hubby and I went hiking, I found that the rocks and high-mileage hikes [8-12 miles] were destroying the "YakTrax™" - sometimes even before I finished a hike.

I was going through a pair every two months or less...

So I came up with my own version - something a bit more durable...

I call them, "ZidGrips". And on the suggestion of Heaven, I came up with another type, called "ZidChains".

So, here's the story in pix - including how to put on the ZidGrips and ZidChains - which I'm including for Heaven's sake...

First of all, heres the 'rougue's gallery'...

From left to right, there'sYakTrax™, my first version of ZidGrips, myimproved version of ZidGrips, and the ZidChains.

You'll notice that the YakTrax™ have steel springs strung over the very rubber straps that hold the springs on the boot. This is a HUGE design flaw, as the steel springs compress and eventually cut their way through, leaving one limping with a semi-useless bundle of rubber and springs underfoot... or off - foot...

My first attempt at ZidGrips consisted of steel spring with chain links strung on rubber strapping - this prevented the rubber from ever being cut. However, I found [after at least a year of wear...] that one of the steel springs broke due to metal fatigue...

So, along came the improved version, with rubber run thru the steel springs to reduce - hopefully eliminate - the metal fatigue. The black rubber cushioning the steel springs is INDEPENDENT of the rubber strapping that holds the assembly on the boot, so even if the black rubber gets damaged or cut up, the arrangement will remain on the boot.

The final item was suggested by Heaven - THANK you, Heaven! - and works in basically the same way as the ZidGrips, except that there is no rubber underfoot to be cut up, and stepping on flat chains is a bit more stable than walking on the semi-round springs - though they will tend to flatten with use.

My next post will demonstrate the items off-boot, and how to put them on...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Okay, here's what they look like, off-boot...

Again, left to right: YakTrax™, first version of ZidGrips, improved version of ZidGrips, and ZidChains...

You should be able to see, more clearly, the rubber thru the springs on the YakTrax™, and the improved ZidGrips... Oh, and you can see that - initially - I just tied the rubber strapping at the heel. Then a yuppie friend of mine complained about the way it looked, so I had to come up with a different arrangement. Unfortunately, I can't have the items molded in one piece as does YakTrax™, which is undoubtedly being produced in China...

Now, here's how to put the improved ZidGrips and ZidChains onto a hiking boot...

First, start at the toe...

Note that the LOOP must remain in the strapping, and the "X" where the strapping crosses, must remain also!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Okay, now that the toe is in proper position, you look at the bottom of the boot as you pull the assemblage over the sole...

Don't worry about getting the toe area of the sole positioned at THIS point in time - that comes a bit later...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's another picture, showing how the ZidGrips or ZidChains will look as you pull them over the sole of the boot. Note that the toe area still has not been spread at this point in putting the ZidGrips on...

Once it's on the boot, you will need to go back and re-position them slightly, BEING SURE TO LIFT - NOT tug! - on the chain links thru which the rubber strapping is run on the TOP of the boot...

If you can get the springs or chains to line up with the grooves [INTO the grooves...] in your sole, that works well. Unfortunately, it seems to work best on "waffle-stomper" soles... Not some of the more modern styles. With a more modern style, you may need to position the grips ACROSS the grooves, but use your own discretion - whatever will increase your footing traction...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Here's a side view, especially showing the steel chain links thru which the rubber strapping [which holds the assemblage on the boot]...

Note that you want the rubber tubing to ride as high on the boot as you can get it, especially in the heel/Achilles tendon area...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Do you plan on marketing those babies?

Of course, there's no need for them down this here way, so my interest is purely academic.

I like bright, original ideas.

Syl

• ziddina
    ziddina

Okay!! Almost there!! By the way, once you get these put on the boots, you can leave them on for the winter!! I do recommend that you rinse them lightly with clean water if you've been hiking in an area where they've put down salt... Or just stomp around in a clean snowdrift...

Again, to emphasize because this is VERY important!!! Be sure that the LOOP and "X" remain on the toe - top of the toe - of the boot.

Here's why...

THIS is the point at which you LIFT AND GENTLY SLIDE - NEVER tug! - the chain links until that "loop" is spread over the toe. This maintains tension on the assemblage as you walk, and positions the grips or chains underneath for optimum 'gripping' ability on slippery surfaces...

You may be able to see the tops of the 'arch' links and the back 'heel' links in this photo, also. Once you've positioned the toe links, adjust the 'arch' and 'heel' links for optimum fit and grip, too...

• ziddina
    ziddina

In answer to Snowbird's question...

Uhm, I dunno... At the end of this set of instructions, I'm going to post a link for a FEROCIOUS pair of trail grips - but I think they're too rough and tough for ordinary street walking - indeed, too rugged for flatter trails, too...

But hey, thanks for asking!!

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

And I think we're on the last picture...

It's not much different from the others, but I took this one to show that there's a bit of 'gapping' between the boot sole and the grips, no matter what.

As long as the grips/chains don't flap TOO much when you're walking, you should do just fine...

Note that there's a bit of a gap between the grips and the 'ball' of the foot. This could be reduced by spreading the 'loop' a bit further, too...??

Referring back to pix #1...

The two on the left are approximately what yours should look like, on the sole, once they're on your boots...

And now I've got to find a link for those super-grips I spotted on a lady on a local trail. I thought they were a bit of 'over-kill', but...

Lemme see if I can find them - they had a - aha!! KAHTOOLAS!!!

BRB!

• ziddina
    ziddina

As I started to say, they had a funny name...

Kahtoolas!!

And wouldn't you know it, I spotted that lady's set, about two years after I made my first set of ZidGrips...

Anyway, here's the link... The "microspikes"...

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

See what you think...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit