MUSIC

by sizemik 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

I don't think it's a hard question as to why we need music . . . for us it's a way to express the feelings we've got, the way we feel . . . you feel love for everybody in the world . . . and you feel bad for everything you ever did wrong in your life. Music kind of sums it up for you really quickly.

Delany Davidson - Musician

I felt this was a beautifully simple expression about music.

How do you feel music has influenced your life?

Has it been a fruitful element in your life . . . a force for good?

How would you compare it to say religion? . . . can the two be compared?

Does it bring more of value to the world? . . . promote harmony and understanding?

• St George of England
    St George of England

The latest Awake is about music, ironic from the company who have produced the worst music in living history!

One of the illustrations is of a girly band, complete with KH length skirts! Hilarious.

George

P.S. Added to say if it aint the Stones, Faces, Free or Queen etc I'm not really bothered.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

The value of music is beyond words. To say I love music doesn't even come close to what I mean.

And it's music, not lyrics. The best composers can make you feel an emotion or envision an idea without any lyrics.

Good lyrics are just gravy or the icing on the cake if you're not familiar with that expression

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Good thread!

I was brought up by a father who appreciated all types of music - classical, opera, ballet, Gilbert & Sullivan, Rogers & Hammerstein, country, ABBA, lol...

Music can be used to express so many emotions - when you can't find the words you want to say, music can say it for you.

• talesin
    talesin

Music has been a saving grace in my life.

It's put a skip in my step on mornings when I woke up wanting to disappear. (loud rock!)

It's given me a friend who understands my feelings when nobody cares. (sad rock)

It's helped me survive being sick, housebound and alone. (learning to play guitar, tin whistle)

It's shown me how to let loose and yell my lungs out. (rock concerts)

It's revealed to me unimaginable beauty. (MOZART)

The only things I love as much, that have NEVER let me down, are books and my cat .

tal

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Music is such a part of the fabric within my life, I couldn't imaginate life without it. Funny thing about how the sountracks to my life have changed throughout the years.

Early teenage years- Hip Hop, Reality Rap or what has often been referred to as Gangsta Rap. I thought MC Eiht, MC Ren, and Ice Cube were gods.

Young adult years- I started appreciating wordsmiths such as Nas, Wu-Tang, Boot Camp Clik, those years formed an appreciate of the wintertime and rainy days. To this day, I enjoy Autumn and Winter moreso because of NYC Hip Hop.

Young man years, ages 17-mid twenties. Started working in Tool & Die Shops, and other manufacturing settings. The white boys were the majority so they controlled the radio, and in hindsight I'm glad. Exposed me to Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Deep Purple, amongst others. You know I was actually somewhat scared to listen to Black Sabbath initially? Eventually I started digging modern bands of that time such as Rage Against The Machine, Tool, and Queens of the Stone Age. My mother used to criticise me saying Jehovah's spirit wasn't upon me because I was too busy raging against the machine.

Late Twenties, I'm angry and irritated and Hip Hop is still in an ignorant Southern phase, and party phase. Meanwhile I have urges to hurt people, but I'm ignorant of the fact that its this religion that has me so angry. Bought a mixtape one night full of early UK82 Punk, exposing me to The Exploited, GBH, The Crack, and Discharge. Greatest thing to ever happen to me. Eventually it led me into The Misfits, Bad Brains, and Black Flag.

As of lately, I'm starting to mellow out, and I'm listening to the music that I was probably concieved to, ya know, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Barry White, and I've gotten back into Hip Hop surprisingly.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    I'm listening to the music that I was probably concieved to, ya know, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Barry White

That would explain all your posts about women, lol.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Music has saved my life on countless occasions. Numb/Encore - Linkin Park & Jay-Z, Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush, Everybody Hurts - R.E.M are just a few tunes that have comforted me. I can appreciate most different types of music and certainly don't restrict myself or identify with any one particular genre. I've been an indie chick, a rave head, a goth, a hip hop honey, a mosher/metaller, a drum 'n' bass (and dubstep) head. I have learned to play a couple of instruments and can read music. I've been to death metal concerts (nothing like the WT$ would have you believe), folk gigs, all sorts. I grew up listening to my parents' very diverse musical tastes - 70's soul & funk, prog rock, 80's pop, Italian operetta, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield.

I have identified myself as having an auditory learning style. I pick up song lyrics easily. My love of music has given me the confidence to get up and sing in front of 250 people. I've DJ'd in a few clubs and my partner works in the music industry. My life would have a massive void if I didn't have music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvPkqJYQ0U&feature=related

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

In 2005 I took a Music Appreciation class at the local JuCo. I had to pick a classical piece to write a report on after very little research, yeah that's right I admit it, I chose Hector Berlioz' "Harold in Italy", the reasons being that I had a friend named Harold and because Berlioz was one crazy MFer. When I first listened to the version that I had picked, Bernstein composing, I was shocked that I was given these wonderful visions of some guy named Harold traipsing around the mountains in Italy and I could actually envision them. It was a great eye opening experience. Wonderful!

NRFG- So many different kinds of music. Right up my alley.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

That would explain all your posts about women, lol.

That's the truth though, no lie. I might come home and sip a little something, and then turn the lights down low and listen to Isaac Hayes. It's beautiful music when you've got an adult buzz, and just want to appreciate sensuality. It's not piping hot sex music, but its definately romance, and appreciation for a woman's company music. I'm just sorry that when I was living a double life to the full I wasn't aware of what this music can do for a man's outlook on the opposite sex. When I post all that crap, its because the Henny is in my system and Isaac Hayes and Al Green have been preaching through the stereo to me. The Church of Love. By the way, Al Green's Jesus Is Waiting is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, and the WT's music department should take note, because that song is an example of how to inspire worship. Not that crap CD they put out recently replacing Kingdom Melodies. That nonsense is for squares and people with absolutely no soul, no life, not rhythm, just people ready to croak and who enjoy listening to paint dry on the wall.

NRFG- So many different kinds of music. Right up my alley.

Some days I'm irritated that I went into trades as opposed to going to college, but in hindsight I wasn't mature enough back then to hack college anyway. Plus, I got exposed to all that classic rock n roll, which set me on the path to punk, modern rock, even some Nu Metal. I'm not mad at those experiences and might even give the Borg some credit for that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit