I would like your input on this statement found in old "Zion's Day Star" advertisement. Is this true?

by AndersonsInfo 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

"Truth never changes, our views of it may change..."

Can this argument be used by religions like Watch Tower that often change the slant of their doctrinal interpretations to justify the change?

Thanks,

Barbara

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yes I believe that is true . . . well, that's my current view anyway.

For it to be used in a religious context . . . if presented as a "view" it would be acceptable to alter it . . . if presented as "absolute truth" from a "divine source" . . . it cannot be retracted without the the rest of the claim ie; absolute truth, divine source etc., being relinquished as well.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

It obviously can and has been used by the WT.

The problem then is, how can one attain an objective view of reality?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Yes, Barbara, that is consistent with what is being said by the Watchtower. They say the light keeps getting brighter and brighter but they somehow are unable to see that for the most part the light goes on and off and back on again. Proclaiming that Christ began his invisible presense in 1870 (as Russell did til his death in 1916) and then in 1943 saying, no, it actually began in 1914, is not light getting brighter. Saying the world would end in 1914 (as Russell prophesied) and then Rutherford prophesying in 1920, no, it will actually end in 1925, is not light getting brighter. Saying that the Watchtower was chosen by Christ himself in 1919 to be God's organisation when at the time the Watchtower was still saying he came in 1870, not 1914 when Christ was later said to have begun his examination of Christendom, at the time the Watchtower was still observing Christmas, Easter and birthdays, when it was still using the Cross as a Christian symbol and the Great Pyramid of Giza as the source for its numerological prophesies, at the time the Watchtower was making false prophesies about millions now living not dying and the end of the world, at the time the Watchtower was feeding thousands of portions of wrong food served millions of times in astonishing contradiction of Matthew 24:45-47 rather than confirmation of it, is not light getting brighter, except on how brightly it shines on the falsehood of the Watchtower.

• Essan
    Essan

This statement cant be used to defend the Society. It only condemns it.

If truth never changes, only their view of it changes, then that must mean that their view of it is not Truth.

So who cares what theirs or anyones 'view' is, because it's not truth, because it's changeable. Everything written in the Society's literature that has changed over time is another proof that what is contained in their literature is not truth, just their 'view'.

Well we all have 'views', and theirs are no more worthwhile than ours, as history amply demonstrates, so why bother listening to them?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Truth never changes, our views of it may change..."
    Can this argument be used by religions like Watch Tower that often change the slant of their doctrinal interpretations to justify the change?
    Thanks,.....Barbara

Good Morning Barb!..

Absolutely NOT..

When you Claim to "Be the TRUTH".....You have No Excuse for Being WRONG.

The WBT $ gets the..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• crazycate
    crazycate

Essan: Precisely!

Why allow people whose "view of the truth changes" to make life and death decisions for my family and me? Or even life altering decisions?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thank you for your replies. I agree with all of you, but need to take the argument even further for an article I'm trying to put together that will be going to some pretty deep thinkers.

Barbara

• Quandry
    Quandry

Oh, I definetely agree that truth never changes...for instance, dinosaurs either ran fast or were slow creatures...they were either cold blooded or warm....scientists have changed their view with increased study and new fossil finds. But generally scientists preface their claims with "Current theory is..." or statements to that effect, realizing that they can only state what current knowledge dictates.

However, when the WT statements are...Millions Now Living Will Never Die...or The Generation That Will Not Pass Away, vowing that these statements are not their views but God's, then that changes things. They use words like "It is evident that Jesus meant" in regards to generation. I remember the change in 1995, I believe, that the "generation" was people who didn't believe...the complete opposite from the previous annointed that were at an age of understanding/then born in 1914.

And the term "present truth" is the most ludicrous of all....that definetely implies that they think truth changes to whatever their current view is.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When you claim to "Be the Truth" ..Say "Truth never Changes"..

Then change your mind about what Truth Is..

Your WatchTarded..

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit