Just heard JW's make 750 million a month!

by foolsparadise 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Religious organizations are businesses. Period. Tax 'em.

We have to get the correct mindset on this planet and do it soon as possible. Freedom of religion should be to protect PEOPLE, NOT BUSINESSES. Individual humans should be allowed free exercise of worship or non worship as their individual choice may be. Religious organizations, as businesses, should be treated NO DIFFERENTLY from any other commercial enterprise.

We know the current situation, Band on the Run, so there is no need to quote case law or the constitution. It is history and it needs to change. James Madison lived in a different world. And he's dead. Time to move onward and upward. Freedom from religion should be the new goal.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

i've noticed that when men create a religion or claim that they are the messiah, nobody seems to take authority and call them on their claims.

it's very simple to expose a false messiah, but nothing ever is done to these individuals after they are exposed. they should be locked up for 20 years for fraud!

same with religion. when a prophesy fails, fraud charges and retro taxes to stop the others from attempting to fraud the innocient.

this would curb the problem.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

JW's refuse to refer to their cult as a "religion". The Watchtower doesn't call it a "religion". It's "The Truth" after all, and the "The Truth" is not a religion. Therefore, they should not have a religious exemption. Only when it's convenient for them they are a "religion. Hypocrites......

Does anyone know where $750 million a month comes from? Last I heard they were making $1 billion a year.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I don't know about that on what OnTheWayOut said "I doubt WTS pulls in that much". The last congregation I was in with only 80 pub. would send monthly between $700 to $900 to the Worldwide Work. If it was only a average of $500 per. month with 100,000 congregation that come up to $50,000,000 per month times 12 that is $600,000,000 per. year. Plus all the other monies that come into the WT. It seems what comes in makes no sense to what goes out. Totally ADD

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I sincerely doubt the 750 number. That kind of revenue requires enormous infrastructure and I just don't see it. Ray Franz cites a 1978 financial report that pegged the assets of the WTBTS at $332 million, mostly in property. A public corporation that had those kind of assets 30+ years ago and performed about as well as the economy has grown, as measured for example by the rise in the S&P, should be worth about $4 billion today. The $750 million number would represent a gross return of over 200% on equity alone (ROE). But capital employed by the Watchtower is going to be a lot less than what it has tied up in equity. Return on capital employed (RCE) would have to be probably 2000 %/pa and that is just not realistic at all.

By all means, tax the religions, but does the US have the will to do it? I doubt it. It won't happen here in Canada, either. Our current Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) describes his party's values as Canada's values. He controls things with an iron fist, elminating anyone who does not agree with him. His party's values are his values, and he is a fundamentalist Christian. He is about to lower corporate income taxes in Canada and cut spending in most social sectors. He has cut off funding of women's groups and the arts, is building more and bigger prisons and intends to recriminalise cannabis use. If he could get away with it, he'd reverse the decriminalisation of homosexuality brought about by his visionary predecessor Pierre Trudeau more than 40 years ago. He will do all these things but he will not, ever, tax the churches unless he can preferentially tax the ones he doesn't like, and that would be difficult for even him to do without getting turfed out on his righteous ass.

• LV101
    LV101

great post --- they should be regulated and TAXED, regardless. there should be a commission to regulate religion. it cleaned up casions/gaming and they are all under the control of gaming commission/control board. this would provide countless jobs w/respect to investigation work and present invaluable information to protect citizens from being defrauded. any assets/investment monies earned of religious groups should be for maintenance of the poor and ill and taxpayers' funds could house and protect children and dogs from the disordered members of society (and this would take billions of $). mental health/educational services are needed to educate humans not more charlatans w/their delusions and gov't. protection any longer.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Here in the UK we can look at the Charity Commission website for details of IBSA and each and every congregation in England and Wales.

The IBSA site is:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=216647&SubsidiaryNumber=0

So for 2010 the income was £25,767,565 and expenditure was £17,968,609.

We have just had 135,823 publishers reported for April.

George

• factfinder
    factfinder

I could see the $750 million being for the year. The 2001 figure was $950 million, but donations have been dropping off since then. In 2006 g went monthly, in 2008 w became two editions, most books are paperback-, subscriptions ended- all to cut back on expenses.

If the $750 million figure is true- it would be annual income.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

This is a very interesting thread.

Thanks, St George, for reminding us all that the Charity Commission site is there for everyone.

If JW's in the UK are raking in 25 million pounds, and nearer 26 million than 25, in a year then I see no reason to doubt that worldwide it's 750 million dollars.

Remember what they inherit when a faithful JW dies.

I think somebody somewhere should be investigating this very seriously indeed. Are they really a genuine charity? Hmmmm

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

The 2001 figure was $950 million

cite verifiable sources, please.

Are they really a genuine charity?

They are genuine bullshit, that I know for sure. But a charity? To whom? As I understand it, the Watchtower was one of the first into Haiti after the earthquake, but they only looked after their own. In any event, do you think they'd just help some worldly out without leaving a tract or two behind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit