Who is your hero?

by HintOfLime 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Personally, as a computer programmer, my hero is a bit odd perhaps - Gordon Ramsey.

I think Gordon Ramsey is awesome. No nonsense - He tells boring, lazy, mediocre people that they are mediocre, and passionately tells them what they are doing wrong... because he wants them to do better. Mediocre, lazy people are EVERYWHERE in American Society.

If you are in the tech industry, here is some Gordon Ramsey truth: If you have a question about a piece of software... knowing how to type a question into Google, read a tutorial, and make it happen is where it's at in 2011.

As an employer... If you list that you've spent thousands of dollars to learn something that a few quick queries on Google would tell on a resume... I assume you are slow and a moron. Just why did you pay money to learn something that was free?

PLEASE, if you are applying for a job - don't underestimate the value of knowing how to use the Internet. The first 10 search results on any topic will typically include some detailed tutorials. It is far more impressive to me, as an employer, if you understand that you can use the Internet than if you have spent money learning how to click on "big obvious graphical buttons". Being able to associate a button with a big underlined U to create underlined text is... well... ugh... fuck. You actually paid money to figure that out? I think I'd rather wait for someone else.

The current economy just sucks. Don't brag about how much education you needed to perform a modern, basic task. Be proud of how clever and thrifty you are - that you can quickly learn new things thanks to the Internet and solve problems without paying a dime. (And also, have pride in yourself - don't just dress nice for one interview - take pride in your appearance all the time, and it will be self-evident at the interview.)

It's 2011. It is the Internet age. Stop paying. Start searching!

- Lime

• snowbird
    snowbird

GOOGLE is everybody's friend.

Syl

• still thinking
    still thinking

Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse picture.jpg

He is brave, courageous, good hearted and always willing to lend a hand. He likes making joke puns and knows over thirty four differant languages......

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    He is brave, courageous, good hearted and always willing to lend a hand. He likes making joke puns and knows over thirty four differant languages......

Sadly, he didn't understand that orange text on red business cards is so 1977 (not to mention... inkjet printer.. ugh. It can cost < $10 to have them done professionally. You can't even invest $10 in your career?).

- Lime

• still thinking
    still thinking

What career? I'm an at home mum. Careers are flushed down the toilet when you have children and stay home to care for them.

Today I am in the mood for having Danger Mouse as my hero.....

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Mario Lemieux

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Thomas Paine because he wrote The Age of Reason.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This week it would probably be The Green Lantern.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My mother who was my rock and all during a very long serious illness.-The Beatles, The WHO, John Lennon.

Martin Luther King, Mandela, Malcolm X, George WAshington, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Lincoln, FDR, Eleanor Roosevelt, Rudy Guiliani (he transformed my neighborhood from utter squalor and violence to safety in a short time). William Brennan (US Supreme Court), John Marshall (2nd chief justice)., Thurgood Marshall.

Oh, my, Jesus should be much higher. The author of John, Thomas the doubting apostle, Katzenzakis.

C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, several nonfamous friends.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Misha Barishnikov, Nureyv, Da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo, Picasso, Chagall.

Moazart, Beethooven, Bach

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit