2 years ago today

by coffee_black 19 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

2 years ago today, my grandson began his walk from Orlando Fl to Washington DC to publicise the plight of homeless children. He was 14 at the time. Wow, how time has flown. He is growing into an extraordinary young man.

Today is David Ashby day in Orlando

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-06-16/news/kid_1_david-ashby-homeless-lee-middle

Coffee

• leavingwt
  • MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You posted about your grandson in my one thread. Thats awesome!

• mummatron
    mummatron

What a remarkable young man! You must be so proud.

• AGuest
    AGuest

You and dear Ali must be SO proud, dear CB (the greatest of love and peace to you!). I am glad to know that Ali was able to make the trip with him. I'll bet it's something neither of them will ever forget, regardless of the purpose.

Again, peace to, Ali, and David!

Your servant, sister, and a slave of Christ,

SA

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

What an amazing family you have!

You have every right to be damn proud!!

Palm

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

You're right, AGuest... Neither of them will ever forget it. We didn't know then about Ali's heart failure. She must have had it, as the dr. believes that she had had it for some time..

It was a crazy time, because 2 days into the walk, Aubrey, (Ali's daughter, 10yo at the time) had an awful accident. She was staying with my son, went out to ride a bike, lost control going down hill, and slammed face first into a tree... shattering her face. David stopped his walk for 2 weeks, until Aubrey was out of the hospital. Then she came and stayed with me until the walk was over. She has had a remarkable recovery. If you didn't know her before, you wouldn't know there was any damage. She still needs more surgery...but needs to wait until she is a little older.

David completed his walk... had to speed it up a bit because of the time limitation. He stopped at many shelters along the way, and raised money and supplies for each of them. ..and spent time with the kids. It changed him. He has such a huge heart... and he is a big help to Ali in her current health challenges.

See... I keep saying Ali needs to write a book. She has quite a story to tell.

Coffee

• hubert
    hubert

What a time that was, Coffee. He is turning out to be a very compassionate fellow. You have every right to be proud of him.

Hubert

• White Dove
    White Dove

Ali should have a movie made.

I see Lifetime written all over this.

Such an inspiration!

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Congrats your grandson sounds like a wonderful young man. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit