Converts and near-converts, what did you give up for the Watchtower?

by Nickolas 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• tec
    tec

I didn't give up very much at all. Nothing bad really came of it. I guess I left before that could happen. No one I knew was in, and I was hesitant about what I taught my children. I lost faith in me for quite some time... but I learned to place it in God, over man, and even over myself. I might not have learned that otherwise.

I am sorry for all who lost so much, and gave so much. You are so brave to battle on.

Peace,

Tammy

• karter
    karter

A promising Rugby carreer.

I was a born-in but my Father was never JW so incoragered me and my brother to play Rugby.

we both excelled and a promising future but let it all go for the sake of the kingdom.

I see my old coach from time to time and he reminds me of what could have been.

• dgp
    dgp
    One of the hard lessons to be learned about this religion is the longer you hold on the more you lose.

So true, Nickolas.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And let's not forget those hours of work we couldn't enjoy while in the cancer. I had to get the evenings off for those boasting sessions, limiting how much I could earn. With those jobs, you are looking at losing hours--sometimes, people even have to lose their jobs because they couldn't get off for the boasting sessions or they were needed to work during their a$$emblies.

• vwracer
    vwracer

I met a girl who was a Witness. She convinced me to start studying since I was interested in reading the Watchtower. In the year that I was studying, I sold my race car, gave up smoking (which in itself is not bad), missed my best friend's funeral (she was Buddist), missed spending Christmas with my family, damaged a few relationships with my other really good friends (due to my missing the funeral), gave up my cd and dvd collection, gave up a promotion at work because I would have to work late occasionally and miss the meetings, the list goes on and on....

We were able to "date" because I was studying. Her mother was okay with us dating, her father wasn't. When I questioned her about why, she said he thought I was too worldly for her and that she should date someone in the truth. Then, I found this website....

I quit studying last week when I blew off the Convention for spending time with my Aunt who is dying of cancer. I finally had to tell her that I can't change who I am without losing me. She is having a serious breakdown over this and I'm not allowed to even speak to her on the phone. Her friend has control of her cell phone and her mother is staying at her house. So, I guess that I lost her too.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I guess that it could have turned out worse, I was almost ready to buy into everything that the WTBTS preaches. I know that I am going to have a bad few weeks ahead of me dealing with everything, I'm dreading the knock on my door....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit