Alcoholism

by Shimmer 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

Hi, my name is Shimmer and I don't want to admit that I'm an alcoholic. Yes I have a "problem" with drinking. And it seems to be getting progressively worse. I'm not ready to admit that I'm "powerless" over alcohol. Giving up alcohol to me would be more frightening than giving up going to the meetings. I'm sure that sounds strange to someone who can't relate, but have any of you dealt with the same problem? If you have please let me know what has worked for you.

Shimmer

A sobering thought: what if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?------------Jane Wagner

• SYN
    SYN

My dad is an alcoholic, so I kinda know what you are going through...it's a tough one, believe me!!! {{{{HUG}}}} If you need to talk, feel free to email me...I've been experiencing alcoholism in my family for 20 years now...

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• SYN
    SYN

Do you really stay in Swaziland???? Or did you just choose the country randomly? I didn't know there were any ISPs in Swaziland! Geez, do they even have electricity there? I stay in Johannesburg!

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well, I am a firm believer that every single person should have one vice. So if yours is alcohol, but you can be a _functional alcoholic_, so be it.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Shimmer,

AA has a little tract-like thing with "ten questions". If you answer "yes" to two or three of their questions, the implication is that you are an alcoholic. IMO, 95% of all people who consume alcohol more than like, once a year on their anniversary or whatever qualify as being labeled as alcoholics.

It's a difficult concept to define. I had a short, disasterous marriage to a 21-year-sober member of AA. He might have refrained from consuming alcohol for 21 years, but his "disease" was alive and well.

What are the "symptoms" or problems/issues/events that cause you concern regarding your use of alcohol? There may be another explanation or approach for you. Each individual is unique.

Take care,

LL

• picosito
    picosito

Hi Shimmer,

I was into the vice for a year after my wife died. Now that I realize it's better to start getting to know lots of people that I can relate to than to be ruining my body with alcohol it's been lots easier not to drink. Not 100% teetotaler but just a little from time to time. It's been working for me.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm a recovering Alkie (over 8 years now) if ya need to talk, email me.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hi Shimmer,

As has been mentioned, there are many things that could be contributing to your 'problem' with alcohol. AA has a great program that can help people who abuse alcohol. I've been sober for more than 5 years now and I used AA to get and stay that way, altho I'm not an AA nazi! I don't attend meetings anymore, but I can't deny the help that I received from the program. If you'd like, feel free to email me, I'd be happy to talk to you.

I wish you success in figuring out what you need to do.

Dana

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Hi Shimmer,

my younger brother was an alcoholic. It destroyed his life. He was drinking so heavily to cope with his low self-esteem he ended up doing some things that landed him in prison for the rest of his natural life. He tried to beat it many times, dried out, but would fall back into his old habits. Over time all that booze affected his thinking and led to a life of crime. He could take a bottle of straight liquor and drink half it down in one long gulp.

About four months ago I met an attorney who beat his alcoholism. He's in his early sixties now and has been dry for over 30 years. He still attends AA after three decades and enjoys helping others who are battling this terrible addiction. I have to say he was one of the most upbeat, postive people I've met in a long time. He says he enjoys AA, the people in it, and it has kept him straight year after year.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit