"...in case of an attack on the buses by Angry Christians..." Atheists sue

by Rabbit 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

To me...the following story exemplifies why freedom of speech is so important. People should be exposed to differing ideas & beliefs for their own good.

My comment is highlighted below, it's funny, sad & I realize...not representative of most Christians. (Most, I believe will think about it, but, not act on it)

Your Comments ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110610/od_nm/us_atheist_ads

Atheists sue over bus ads on God-free lifestyle

By Suzi Parker Suzi Parker Fri Jun 10, 12:11 pm ET

LITTLE ROCK, Ark (Reuters) – A coalition of atheists is accusing Little Rock's city bus line of violating their rights to free speech in a fight to place ads on public buses praising a God-free lifestyle.

The Central Arkansas Coalition of Reason alleged in a lawsuit that the Central Arkansas Transit Authority and its advertising agency are discriminating against the group because they're being required to pay tens of thousands of dollars to put $5,000 worth of ads on 18 buses.

The ads would read: "Are you good without God? Millions are."

Other groups, including churches, have not been required to pay the fee, which amounts to $36,000 in insurancein case of an attack on the buses by angry Christians, according to the lawsuit.

The insurance was requested by the transit agency's advertising firm, On The Move Advertising, officials said.

Because a handful of similar ads had been vandalized in other states, the ad agency required the payment for insurance reasons, said Jess Sweere, an attorney representing the transit authority.

"To my knowledge, OTMA has not requested this in the past because no other advertiser told them their ads were vandalized in other markets," Sweere told Reuters.

Sweere said the transit authority was all set to accept the ads, but that the advertising firm raised the concerns that lead to the insurance requirement. Negotiations were still going on when the lawsuit was filed last week against the transit agency and the ad firm.

"We were planning to run the ads as soon as the contract was worked out," Sweere told Reuters.

An attorney for the ad agency did not return calls seeking comment.

LeeWood Thomas, a spokesman for the atheist group, quoted an email from the advertising agency obtained by the coalition that read: "Arkansas is the buckle of the Bible Belt and I can easily envision zealots or upstanding citizens with a strong faith acting out."

Thomas said it's clear his group is being punished for the actions of others.

"The insurance money needed from us basically says CATA and On The Move trust the atheists in this community more so than the religious, otherwise the churches that advertise would have that extra insurance premium added to their total cost," Thomas said.

The coalition is asking a judge to issue a preliminary injunction forcing the bus company to accept the ads while the suit moves forward.

The transit authority and its advertising agency were served with the lawsuit on Monday. They have 21 days to respond.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the Arkansas group by UnitedCoR, a Washington-based national organization that focuses on organizing local atheist and agnostic groups into coalitions and funding their bus and billboard ad campaigns.

UnitedCoR has placed such ads throughout the United States since 2008.

Out of 36 markets where ad campaigns have run, four have been vandalized, including bus ads in Detroit last year, according to UnitedCoR's website.

Last year, UnitedCoR placed ads on outdoor billboards and buses in Fayetteville, Arkansas, without incident.

In 2009, the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers, a group of atheists who are also involved in the bus ad campaign, successfully sued the state of Arkansas to erect a 'Winter Solstice' display on the grounds of the Arkansas State Capitol near a nativity scene.

(Editing by Karen Brooks and Jerry Norton)

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Funny that they don't require church groups to pay the extra money on account of all those "militant atheists" vandalizing busses that carry religious messages.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Something I don't get is, if that's public transportation, then why are religious ads posted on the buses in the first place? Is that a private bus company, or city owned?

As far as those "good Christians" in the Bible Belt acting up, that's nothing new. They're the true antiChrists when you think about it.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I tried to copy n' paste the story, it would't work.

Yeah, those mad dog atheists, they're capable of anything -- they even use -- words and stuff.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

George,

In the Dallas-Ft.Worth area this same thing came up, so to be "fair"...neither churches or atheists can advertise now. I guess that's cool with me, but, I have a sneaking suspicion it was the only lawful way to keep the churches happy. It would, in my opinion, been a great debate opportunity.

Theists wanted no part of that.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

They may adjust their policies for a while, but I suspect they will quietly drop them and you'll see church ads once again with the hopes that those angry atheists won't notice.

NC

• dgp
    dgp
    Funny that they don't require church groups to pay the extra money on account of all those "militant atheists" vandalizing busses that carry religious messages.

Atheists don't usually destroy religious messages.

I can understand the bus company. It can well be that they know for sure someone will vandalize the ads, and, while they may personally not care about the campaign, they don't want to cover those expenses. Sometimes, however, you're asked to do things no one else is asked to do because the person wants to refuse to provide the service or good but finds it inconvenient to say so.

I can but remember the joke about God being mysoginistic. A couple of very religious people go to heaven. Both need to take a test to finally make it to everlasting happiness. God asks the man to spell the word "God". "G-O-D". "Go in and partake with me". Then the woman is asked to spell "CZECHOSLOVAKIA".

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I was being facetious, dgp. My point was that so called "militant atheists" aren't going around vandalizing property because they don't like the message. They use their violently rational discussions and the brutality of oxford style debates, such militant savages.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Even church burnings are usually done by religious extremists. I don't recall one ever being done by an atheist.

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

If anyone can put a bumpersticker for or against a religious concept then anyone should have the right to advertise their views in public areas or vehicles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit