It's DC Season (Conventions)

by RagingBull 18 Replies latest jw friends

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Tell me what you enjoy (or miss) the most at District Conventions that get (or got) you thru them.

I like seeing what people are wearing, especially the females with super high-heel "stripper" shoes. But I dread getting beat up and ran over by JWs trying to get "good seats".

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Since they don't serve pudding anymore, I miss absolutely nothing. I didn't even like them when I was in with all my heart. They were exhausting and repetitive, uncomfortable, and they always had a talk that left me guilt ridden.

NC

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I had to do some floor walking today at work at a different building from where I work. It was nice scoping out all the pretty heels stepping around. I met so many cute women today......and even the fat unattractive ones were still nice to talk to. I met a couple orange ones too who need to stay away from the tanning salon.

Now, onto conventions, I like seeing what people wear as well. Both women and men. I'm as hetero as they come, but its hilarious seeing what some dudes wear. Hard to imagine in this day and age dudes still wearing pretty much the equivalent of zoot suits with alligator shoes.

I have to say there's pretty much nothing I enjoy about conventions anymore with the exception of the ride home. Driving home Sunday evening knowing I don't have to do it again until the next year is a wonderful feeling. This year I finally got rebellious too as a brother called me to help out on attendant duties, and I brushed him off and didn't bother returning his call. I'll NEVER do the attendent thing again, EVER!!! If it wasn't for the fact that taking the family falls upon me as my siblings are married with families over their own, I wouldn't even bother going. Waste of money, waste of vacation days, and an utter waste of time. Same talks, same reminders, same interviews, same soliloquies, same demos, same bull shit.

edit post: NewChapter, ohhhh how I miss the vanilla pudding!!!!

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

I miss the pudding too. And apple danishes in the morning. I'm dreading going this year, although I'd love to hear what they'll say about "apostates".

People lying about their experiences in symposiums. Same questions....same answers. Brothers' voices going up into climatic pitches as they introduce new literature...or dvds.

And every year at the KH a sister (most-likely) will say "oh that was so encouraging, it was the best Convention yet. I teared up at the end because I didn't want to leave" Really? GTFOH!

I have a feeling, this will be my last year going to a DC...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I don't miss fruit salad (seemed my family always got stuck doing kitchen duty in the 60's and 70's) nor do I miss the heat or crowds. I did enjoy endulging my teenage hormones checking out the "hot" spiritual sisters!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't miss any of it. I don't think I've enjoyed an assembly or convention since I was a teenager scoping out chicks with my buds. Poor guys, the lot of them. Still stuck in the Borg. Former best friend in the worst marriage of anyone I have ever known. Other good friend divorced and remarried and has been DFd and reinstated twice. Another friend stole the wife of another friend in the congregation. All these are guys from one small rural congregation's same generation - and I'm not talking the Borg-style 100 year generation either. We were all in high school together and I'm the only one with my original wife and still happy.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Good for you Mad!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

About the only thing worthwhile was the traveling part. And that was far inferior to a trip of similar length would have been with worldly people. After the work and expense of finding the motel room and arranging for a ride is done, the trip itself is about as fun as it got. They took just about everything else away that could have been fun--just meeting other men. For a religion that is against gay people, that is about as senseless as buying Treasury bonds a month before you strongly expect hyperinflation to destroy their value.

And, when the thing was in town, even that was missing. Going to listen to fake experiences, another guilt trip about everything normal, and arranged applause about the same tired lists they come up with to get more field circus is worth nothing. Those that think this beats Christmas don't realize what they are missing--I would rather be spending hours setting up Christmas lights than volunteering at a Grand Boasting Session. I would rather look at Christmas displays than listen to that boring crap all the time. At least a Christmas display doesn't come with a guilt trip.

• jay88
    jay88

I miss the transition when you had to pay for tickets to get food, to when it was strictly donation driven

......Wow...how long did that last?

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

The bacon butties in the morning.

But that was phased out a long while ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit