JW teenagers party's

by bigmac 15 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Between 1950 and 1959 the word ELDER appeared 37 times.

Between 1960 and 1969 the word ELDER appeared 24 times.

Between 1970 and 1979 the word ELDER appeared 446 times.

Remember that during the 1950s and 1960s they didn't use the term "elder" and considered it a clergy title like "Reverend" or "Father." It only makes sense that they started using it a lot more when they decided it was OK to apply the term to their own people.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I'm not saying that the use of the word "elder" caused the severe rule-making regime. But, it marked the institution of a larger organizational police force that felt responsible to monitor the lives and habits of others. They used the word "overseer" as the title of choice before 1971 and it was most often applied to the top dog. If you look in the index they continue to use the title overseer along with elder. This has been a period of obsession with organizational structure.

The old structure was based on ability at public speaking. Usually the permanent overseer was one of the best speakers (teachers) in the congregation. If you wanted to be on top of the hierarchy you had to be a good public speaker. So, the underlings worked hard at teaching with a view that they might get moved into the overseers position in some congregation. There used to be a lot of shuffling of talent with brothers being sent to congregations where good speakers were needed.

When they watered down this requirement it simultaneously changed the nature of the primary business of "teaching" to "policing". The way to get more authority became a game of "gotcha". You gained notoriety by being a strong adherent to "policy". This is also why the quality of discourse has become so boring. Meetings lack speakers with spark. It's like listening to Officer Krupke talk about the dangers of drugs.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Oh boy, I can tell you that in 80's-90's we partied like it was the last day. But hey, it could have been. Certainly not the like of parties you would like to talk with your parents about or with elders for that matter. But there was always a little squarrel present who could not keep the mouth shut, so it was time of frequent interrogations. There happened so much that they could really take action for gross sins only and just had to look through fingers all those minor incidents. I was considered a good kid so I was more asked, but not subjected, I never told them anything.

CP

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How come nobody ever threw those parties in my circuit?

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

It depends whose house (Elders) it was thrown... this was late 70's early 80's.......

Some of the Girls would show up Drunk and the Chaps. never knew....

Always hugging and Kissing and Falling down and..... well you know....

I remember an Elder asking if I wanted a beer..... I was 15 he knew I wasn't like Most JW kids 1 beer and they can't walk.....

I sat down with "JOE" and we had a few (He drank Heineken's) and 1 Elder's son asked him "Why can Charlie have beer and we can't?"

"Cause Charlie won't go home and tell his Dad or His Dad Wouldn't Care!"

He was the only elder who liked me when I was a kid... My Dad was never a JW so my family wasn't given the Love it deseved... coming from a Divided Household..(Sound like you had Leprosy)

We went camping alot during the Summer... and a few select teens were giving a case of beer each for the weekend..

Sitting around a fire with just the guys (No adults) listening to Zeppelin and drinking Beers watching the Elders Son fall down and puking after 3 beers....

Then getting a unexpected visit from that Elder when he heard his son was sick.... He was shocked there was beer......

Then the real Dad's showed up and told that Elder to grow some.....

We had many camping trips like this....that Elder and Son never came back thou.... LOL

Never got spoken about it either..... 1 good thing about having a Unbelieving Dad.

That's what happens when you associate with the World look at Charlie's Dad.....

A MS would hang out with my dad they got along good and his kids were allowed Beer too....

Funny how we didn't get falling down Drunk...but the Elders kid did LMAO!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

I remember those secret parties that were stomped on especially in the early 70's and 80's, the Great Apostasy, but they continue and the WTS is still unable to stop them.

*** km 7/74 p. 3 pars. 3-5 Social Gatherings ***Occasionally we hear that brothers or sisters have rented facilities for dancing, skating and other socializing by Witnesses. The Society has received a number of letters from brothers who are disturbed over what they observe or hear is taking place. Are such arrangements proper?

It is not the business of the Society or the elders in the congregations to make rulings as to what individuals may or may not do in arranging social gatherings, although loving counsel by the elders is certainly appropriate.

It definitely is proper for Christians to be hospitable. (Rom. 12:13) But when arranging to entertain others, the size of the gathering is a factor to consider. Experience has shown that there can be pitfalls and problems in connection with large social gatherings. The one who is the host has a serious responsibility. He is accountable for what takes place at a gathering that is under his jurisdiction. At a get-together in one’s own home it is not usually difficult to determine who will be present and what the activities will be. But problems along these lines may increase when there is a large group in a rented facility.

*** w75 8/15 p. 504 par. 22 Do Not Let Yourself Be Ensnared by Fads and Entertainment ***Even when Christians get together to dance, it is best to avoid large groups, as activities can easily get out of control and some may go beyond wise limits.

It definitely is proper for Christians to be hospitable. (Rom. 12:13) But when arranging to entertain others, the size of the gathering is a factor to consider. Experience has shown that there can be pitfalls and problems in connection with large social gatherings. The one who is the host has a serious responsibility. He is accountable for what takes place at a gathering that is under his jurisdiction. At a get-together in one’s own home it is not usually difficult to determine who will be present and what the activities will be. But problems along these lines may increase when there is a large group in a rented facility.

*** w75 8/15 p. 504 par. 22 Do Not Let Yourself Be Ensnared by Fads and Entertainment ***Even when Christians get together to dance, it is best to avoid large groups, as activities can easily get out of control and some may go beyond wise limits.

*** km 9/95 p. 2 par. 3 Do All Things for God’s Glory ***It has been reported that large numbers of Witnesses have gathered at rented facilities where the entertainment is unwholesome and worldly and where proper supervision is lacking. Similar activities advertised as a "Jehovah’s Witness" weekend have been held at hotels or resorts. Because of the difficulty in properly supervising such large groups, problems have developed. Rowdiness, overindulgence in alcoholic beverages, and even immorality have sometimes resulted. (Eph. 5:3, 4) Social gatherings where such conduct occurs do not honor Jehovah. Rather, they bring reproach upon the good name of the congregation and stumble others.—1 Cor. 10:23, 24, 29.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit