Canadian Privacy Act

by truthlover 2 Replies latest jw friends

• truthlover
    truthlover

While looking at the Data Protection Act in the UK, it jogged my memory to our own Privacy Act legislation. I do not know it in full but my questions would be: Can the society really keep records on the pubs in Canada now? Is that breaking the law? and Can they discuss any matter relating to pubs at their own JC meetings? passing on this personal information to Bethel?

I have never signed a pub card..

Is there anyone on the board who knows about any of this? Are the elders breaking the law?

Thanks
    TL

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't know about the Canadian Law, but it is likely similar to the UK and Australian laws. In those countries, there is nothing wrong with storing data on other people. The Data Protection Act simply allows people to have access to their own data to ensure it is accurate. If it is inaccurate then a person can request that it be destroyed.

The Society has a legal right to keep files on its followers.

• truthlover
    truthlover

In Canada, you have to sign a release if you go to a dentist or doctor,etc... I suppose if I go to the government web site I could find more, I just didn't know if someone knew right away without me going thru all the legalities.. several years ago the elders did have to deal with the Privacy Act for a sister in the hospital...

Thanks JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit