True Friendship Only Found In the Organization?

by What Now? 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

When I first left I had a real hard time with this. As a born in I felt like I had so so so many good friends. When I found myself on the "other side" no one tried to help me back in. It was an instant "de-friendship" of just about everyone I knew.

I craved friendship! I was used to lots of people I viewed as friends. I was used to the "instint" friends thru the years. I thought that was how everyone made friends.

It took me a while to find non-jw friends. I didn't know how? I didn't know how to pick a good person, or what a not so good person was. Being a born in it was easy. you are a JW you are good, non JW=Bad.

I have a few now I would call friends, met through work.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The "true friendship" thing is like "real joy is to be found only among JWs". It's false advertising, puffery. At the local KH, it's standard procedure to not hire other witnesses or have business dealings with "fellow believers". The track record is terrible for witnesses not getting along.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

At the local KH, it's standard procedure to not hire other witnesses or have business dealings with "fellow believers". The track record is terrible for witnesses not getting along.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

• Joliette
    Joliette

True friends my ASS!

Their true friends until you start to realize that the friendships are based on organizational policies.

Someone slap me if I'm wrong.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

no slap joliette

• unshackled
    unshackled

Billy said it...it's all false advertising puffery. Just like how the WTBS constantly says JWs are the happiest people on the planet, with all the brothers & sisters close knit and so loving. They say it over and over so that Dubs actually believe it. But when you zoom in on individual congregations it just ain't so.

I never seen it. In fact, I think because the Dubs are in essence a small closed society - a fish bowl - there is more gossiping, backstabbing, and cliques than mass society in general.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I became a witness in my 30's and it just so happened that the person who studied with me was the most popular pioneer rich, classy, vacations beautiful home she had boat dock parties it was lots of fun.

I'm in with he in crowd i go where the in crowd goes I"m in with the in crowd and I know what the in in crowd knows.

It was all very insidious it stopped being fun and stopped being the truth and now that we've left it certainly stopped being anything like true friendship. I knew them all for 25 yrs and now oddly enough another woman who she also studied with the same time as me is has checked out to and we talk on the phone. All those great bible studies that pioneer had are abandoning ship and she is divorced and remarried last I heard.

Oh the twists and turns of life.

• doubtful
    doubtful

To the OP,

You are not alone. For whatever reason, if you're not in one of the cliques, then chances are you will have nothing but shallow, superficial relationships with the other people at the hall. The only reason they even recognize your existence and feign a loving desire to see you is because you are one of them, and they are told that they MUST love their brothers and sisters. But you can't make anybody love another person. Genuine love arises from a close bond, a strong relationship built on mutual interests and personal attraction between both parties. If you share nothing in common with them other than your association with the organization, then you will not form a close relationship with them, and they will be nothing more than acquaintences. It's that simple.

In the org, members have to pretend to sincerely and profoundly love everyone. They have to put up with 100 - 130 people multiple times per week, many of whom they privately cannot stand, and their potential friends are limited to this small group of people, who may or may not have similar interests, circumstances, tastes, etc. as yourself. Some will cultivate a genuine interest in your well being, and they will be giving of themselves and compassionate. In my experience, these were usually the older ones. Yet, as a youth, the thought of passing my time playing cards with old people never seemed like a worthwhile existence. The young people operate on a clique system. You're either in a certain social circle, or you're alone, very similar to High School life. I moved a lot, and whenever I joined a new congregation, the youth cliques were already well established and virtually impermeable, which meant that I was always on the outside looking in, begging to be invited to events and outings, and always given the brush off.

My circumstances also set me apart and prevented me from being admitted into one of the groups. I have a chronic pain disease which prevented me from playing sports. This is what about 99% of JW male youth and young men do in their free time, because they're too broke to engage in any form of entertainment that actually costs money. So, whatever they were doing for fun was almost always something I couldn't participate in. This left the girls, but there were always barriers to communication and association with them because of the Medieval attitude among JWs concerning teenage dating.

Secondly, I was very different from most JWs in that I am actually intelligent, and well read. I never truly believed that the Big A was necessarily right around the corner, and always had the idea that I would prepare myself for a full life in this system of things, just in case it didn't come. That meant that I chose to satisfy my thirst for knowledge and pursue a university degree that would afford me the opportunity to choose the right career path for me that would be both enjoyable and lucrative, rather than settling for whatever low-paying lackluster job I could find at the bottom of the social ladder just so I could say that I "put the kingdom first". This put me at odds with other youth who were skeptical of my decision and even downright critical at times. The other youth who instead chose to pioneer right out of high school were held in high esteem and often found friends amongst their fellow pioneers. Other youth also skipped on education, but instead went to work full time, meaning they had more money than I did, and they also had a lot more free time compared to me (I work part time and go to school full time). Many other ones started dating relatively quick after high school because they figured since they weren't going to college, and they had no ambitions about moving up in their careers (content to be a bottom-feeder in some manual labor job) there was nothing holding them back from getting married at such an early age. So a lot of the youth started pairing off into couples, and couples' groups, and I was once more, left on the outside looking in because I myself could not date since I was not in a position to support a household.

I met one girl at a DC who I hit it off with really well. We started writing letters to each other, and that progressed to phone conversations, and hundreds of text messages per day..etc. We really liked each other, and she was my cloesest and only friend. We seldom saw each other in person because we lived far apart, but her parents hated me because I was going to college. I wasn't good enough for their daughter, because I must have somehow been spiritually deficient. Her mom always tried to push her in the direction of Bethelites, and MTS graduates. Her mom would literally try to hook her up with brothers who held special privelleges as early as age 17. But because I wasn't a pioneer, I didn't make the cut, even though I was a ministerial servant since the age of 18. So her parents would severely curtail her communication with me. She had to cut back on how much we talked, and she could only talk to me in secret. Even after reducing how much we talked on the phone and drastically reducing the number of text messages we sent to one another, her parents still chastised her for speaking with me.

When I confided in her about my doubts about the Org, she shunned me. She did this even though she was a hypocritical pioneer, who would routinely binge drink to the point of vomiting. Apparently she felt it was okay to keep that a secret and continue pioneering and giving interview parts at District Conventions, so long as she didn't jeaporadize her family's reputation, or her daddy's special position as one of the elite elders in the district.

That was the last straw for me. I never had true friends who were JWs, and even if they are friends, your friendship comes with strings attached. You leave the org, or even show the slighest hint of deviating from the herd of other JWs, and it's as if you never even existed.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The "true friendship" is often just "instant friendship", even "forced friendship". The whole agape treatment is just acting friendly to people you really don't like. The village idiot, drunk and soaked with urine, can walk into the KH and get love-bombed with offers to "study the Bible".

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

@What Now, your experience mirrors that of my wife and I. A favored few got the royal treatment whenever they needed something; when my wife gave birth and we encountered problems no one did a thing. We moved cities several times and battled to break through the cliques, but were never accepted in any of them. We have much better friends, and on a more solid basis, since we left.

That's fine .... except they maintain this crap about "genuine" friendships that can't be found anywhere else in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit