Octo-Mom...has 50,000 BABIES...See Video

by Rabbit 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/06/06/136999429/8-legged-mom-has-50-000-babies-while-2-legged-woman-watches?ft=1&f=1007

Ok, I'll admit I am 'guilty' of "Gotcha journalism", but hey, it works with Palin.

This story has Nothing to do with the airhead that birthed 8 babies nor the former-quit-her-governor-of Alaska job airhead.

It is just a beautiful, calming, makes-ya'-feel-good story, with some amazing videos. With all the chaos in our lives, politics and the world...its nice to get a laptop view, brought to us by a kind person, of an ocean event normally unseen by human eyes. It came from the sea -- 73 feet down -- and its been happening for millions of years. I hope that'll continue to be the case -- for millions of years to come.

So, why post this on JWN...?

It made me and my wife happy. I hope it does the same for you.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Calamari.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Ha ! Calamari comes from squid!

(which is delicious when battered)

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

LOL I just wonder out of all those babies how many of them are going to be fish food. Not so heart warming.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

LOL. I think that's why they have to lay so many...maybe a few hundred actually grow up to reproduce, but...they provide fish food for bigger & bigger fish. Then, ummm...fried, battered calamari.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Wow...I was w-a-y off on survival rate...

http://sites.google.com/site/oceandbcom/giant-pacific-octopus

She lays strings of eggs and hangs them on the roof of her den. Usually females lay around 57,000 eggs. They look like grapes on the roof of her den. While the eggs get ready to hatch, the female stays in her den at all times, protecting the eggs. With her siphon, she blows on the eggs, making sure they have sufficient oxygen. When they finally hatch, she blows them out of the den. Then she follows them out and dies. The eggs drift to the surface, most of them being eaten on the way. The few that survive stay at the surface for around 6 months until they are old enough to come back down to their home. Of the 57,000 eggs laid, around two or three survive to continue the reproductive cycle. Octopuses are terminal maters, meaning they die after mating and therefore only mate once.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Does it still make you feel good? LOL

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Yes, it does. Makes me feel good I'm not a Giant Octopus, and it shows how fragile our environment can be. If, two octopi mate, then only 2 (hopefully equal male/female) survive - there is no net population gain. That's scary if the animals are endangered.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for sharing that - beautiful

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

You're vewwy welcome. At least 2 people liked it...and NomadSoul was just real hungry!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit