This Year's Memorial

by TD 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    JWs are so ignorant as to their own beliefs now they should change their name to JW-ish.
  • unknown ex-jw
    unknown ex-jw

sir82

has the organizations teaching on the great crowd and other sheep changed in the last 10 years? are they still interchangeable terms referring to the same group?

thanks in advance

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

"..the governing body watches the moon."

Hmmm. That rings a bell.

Steven Hassan - does that ring a bell for you?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The governing body watches the moon. Yet, they disfellowship anyone under them if they do the same--it's astrology. I don't know what makes it acceptable for those at the top to do this if it's a "sin" for anyone else. Besides, it is easy enough to find "Nisan" 14--"Nisan" 1 is the day of the new moon that marks the beginning of the new year. It is the last new moon before spring. Count up until you reach 14, then that's your proper day.

What is stupid is that they could do it Astaroth's way and just observe the vernal equinox itself. This falls on when the Sun reaches 0 Aries, and when the poles are lined up straight up and down when observed from the Sun. (In fact, due to the precession of the equinox, the real position of the Sun is migrating backwards, and the Verdic astrology system has it nearing Aquarius instead of 0 Aries.) By observing the equinox itself, there would be no confusion about the day.

• fukitol
    fukitol

The memorial talks are an incoherent, cold, prosaic shambles because the JW's doctrine on the subject is an incoherent shambles.

A company shareholders meeting with the Board is more exciting and emotionally satisfying than the Memorial talk.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I agree fukitol.

TD, I find your post quite uplifting. The memorial for JWs has always been a hollow and meaningless experience. Eating people and drinking their blood does not press buttons for most people these days.

Especially now when the concept of heavenly life seems remote for most in the Borg and those who wish to take the Bible literally are confused by the apparent command to partake of the symbols. I think it’s evidence of what we might call an identity crisis going on both within the WTBTS administration and for the literalists within the org.

Let’s hope the GB spend more and more time looking at the moon whilst the membership quietly slip out the back door.
  • sir82
    sir82

are they still interchangeable terms referring to the same group?

They've never been "interchangeable terms", in the strictest sense.

The "other sheep" are those who have the "earthly hope". The "great crowd" are those members of the "other sheep" who happens to live through both sides of Armageddon. You can be a member of the "other sheep" without being a member of the "great crowd", if you happen to die before Armageddon.

In practical terms, however, virtually all JWs do use the terms interchangeably.

isn't the outline for Memorial talks prepared in advance by writers at JW headquarters?

Yes, it is the identical outline for all JWs. This the 3rd time around for the current outline (it is dated February 2013).

• life is to short
    life is to short

I went tot he Memorial where I live in the Northwest part of the US and it was the same. The talk just made no sense to me and the speaker kept looking at his watch. It was really distracting. He just kept flipping through scriptures and I was just wanting it all to end so I did not pay as close of attention as I probably should have.

LITS

• millie210
    millie210

I was traveling and stopped to go with a family member. The brother read the prayer from a sheet of paper he held. He made no attempt to disguise it. Acted rather proud of it in fact.

He wasnt impaired so he didnt need the prayer written down. He obviously just felt comfortable doing so.

Back in the day (does that make me sound old or what?) reading a prayer would have been a huge no-no.

I dont think the Org has time for quality control (by their obsessive standards) anymore.

Or maybe its a lack of interest on their part? After all, lots to focus on now. like being on TV.

• MTSman
    MTSman
    I didn't go to the memorial, but I was still in a check your brain at the door kind of mood, so I saw Fast and Furious 7.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit