I'm not a fan of Jung, but...

by Dogpatch 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

'One of the fascinating phenoms about xJWs who seek to stay religious is how often they end up in groups with the same narrow mind set and controlling atmosphere they left behind.'

What group? Am i religious?

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am not familiar with Jung, but I could become a fan. Freud leaves me cold.

Band on the Run, your outdoor Eucharist reminds me of a spiritual moment at a Unitarian church I visited. They conducted a fire ceremony (new to me), and had a classy banner with a secular quote on it (echoes of the Kingdom Hall). At some point in the ceremony we had a moment of silence for private reflection. At that very same moment, clouds broke and light flooded the hall from a large window. I was flooded with a sense of peace, and it wasn't just me because my friend commented on it later.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Designs

References please...

• mindseye
    mindseye
    scotoma: The only thing that I like about Jung is that he felt God should be a Quaternity NOT a Trinity. He accomplises this by including the Devil in the Godhead. Until we accept that the Devil is a necessary God function we will never get cured.

Yes! Satan is Yin to God's Yang. One cannot exist without the other.

doofdaddy: What I was commenting on was that "Jung channelled on a regular basis". From what I understand, Jung was in a psychotic state between 1914-18 and wrote via "Philemon". He, as a true "hero" fought through the darkness and came back completely sane. He used this experience as the basis of his further work but as far as I hnow "Philemon" wasn't contacted again...True?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure his encounters with Philemon and other paranormal experiences were only during this time.

Interesting side note: In my previous post I mentioned that Jung 'channelled' Basilides while writing the Sermons. I've read more of Hoeller's book, and it's his view that it was not 'channeling' but merely a matter of modesty. Like many writers of Mystic literature, Jung felt that he was writing from a 'higher self' than his own ego, so he attributed the Sermons to the ancient teacher.

ProdigalSon: This is what bothers me about 'religious' people.......Why is it that humans have these 'psychic' abilities, but only Satan, his demons and anyone who worships them are allowed to use it?

I agree ProdigalSon. It seems religious people give so much more power to Satan than God!

designs: One of the fascinating phenoms about xJWs who seek to stay religious is how often they end up in groups with the same narrow mind set and controlling atmosphere they left behind.

I don't understand. How are any of Jung's views, or the Gnosticism he identified with representative of a narrow mind set? On the contrary, Jung opened a way to a spiritual outlook free of dogma and reductionistic fundamentalism. As his archetypical place, he identified with Alexandria, the Egyptian city that stood for religious and philosophical pluralism, filled with spiritual creativity and freedom. This stood in contrast to Jerusalem, which as an archetype stood for the jealous Patriarchal God - with law, dogma and orthodoxy.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Interesting side note: In my previous post I mentioned that Jung 'channelled' Basilides while writing the Sermons. I've read more of Hoeller's book, and it's his view that it was not 'channeling' but merely a matter of modesty. Like many writers of Mystic literature, Jung felt that he was writing from a 'higher self' than his own ego, so he attributed the Sermons to the ancient teacher.

That's why I warm to Jung as a person. He didn't suffer fools well but was loathe to be centre stage. Supposedly, this is why it took so long for a Jungian Insitute to be formed.....and for Jung to have is memoirs written. He actually needed numerous dreams to spur him to write and even then he stopped and Hannah took over.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

For someone whose theories are rarely used in actual treatment, Jung is a stronger cultural force than ever. He made numinous experiences desirable for an academic audience. I cannot outline his work as easily as I can outline Freud. Jung is gestalt for me. Just as with Gnosticism, I am so rational and anlytical in my life. It drives friends crazy. Yet all I can do is report that deep within me, I feel the gnostic spark present.

There is far more to experience in this world than the fleshly, physical reality. I am more. My soul does feel in exile and wants enlightenment. I had no clue as to Jung or Gnostics when I started in college. My expectation would be that I would view them as silly. Rather than silly, I recognized truth in my gut. I don't understand the full contours. I do believe that God is primarily transcedent but also immanent.

Reading Jung strengthens my ability to view the world in an expanded way. So Jung is more relevant than Freud today which utterly shocks me.

• Balsam
    Balsam

A church I attended (Presbyterian) both my Pastor and his wife were Jung Therapist and studied at the Jung Institute. My pastor specialized in Dreams and taught all over the USA. He has since left to persue his career full time. I learned a lot from listening to him and he shared many books with me on Jung. Personally I think Carl G. Jung was the best of the best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit