Worldy opposition is interpreted as confirmation of the truth

by MrMonroe 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Predict people will hate you, then do things to piss them off and adopt wacky ideas and tell them in ways that piss them off. Presto! Instant fulfillment.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I was attending a convention in Tacoma Washington which always had apostates picketing outside with bullhorns. I heard one young brother from Bethel observe that as long as the apostates were there, he knew he had the right religion. Because there were no apostates picketing the local Catholic church.

I recently did an anthropological paper on anti-catholicism. Catholics have been hated a lot longer than JW's.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmmm... Mr. Monroe you're quite right, but for some reason your post caused me to see something a bit more clearly, even tho it's been touched on, before.

Perhaps the best approach to a JW who is feeling "persecuted", would be to point out how much apathy there actually is, world-wide, towards the Jehovah's Witnesses.

After all, [and correct me if I'm wrong, please...] one can practically count the number of countries in which they're actively persecuted on one's hands - China [?], a few nations in Africa, the more extreme Middle-Eastern countries...

In most other locales, they're greeted with an irritated yawn and a quick shake of the head.

I suspect that apathy is a much deadlier foe than antipathy...

Zid

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

If the world opposes JWs because they have "the truth"? Why do JWs oppose "apostates"?... Because ex-JWs have the real truth about "the truth"!

• doubtful
    doubtful

Haha. Good one Billy.

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

Oh yes... you tell a JW "Hey, there's a lot of stuff on the internet about you guys. Ever thought of investigating it, since you have the truth and all, there's nothing to worry about..." (this was after they said they can respond to anyone's ridiculous claims about them because "Who knows more about Jehovah's Witnesses than Jehovah's Witnesses?" was said on the platform that evening. )

The response? "That just strengthens my faith! Why would anyone bother to attack us if we weren't doing something the world hates." Then they used the scripture "Broad is the gate leading to destruction, narrow is the road leading to life" or whatever it is. Apparently all the internet sites is the broad road and the positive sites (which they admitted were only the official sites) was the narrow road.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The response? "That just strengthens my faith! Why would anyone bother to attack us if we weren't doing something the world hates." Then they used the scripture "Broad is the gate leading to destruction, narrow is the road leading to life" or whatever it is. Apparently all the internet sites is the broad road and the positive sites (which they admitted were only the official sites) was the narrow road.

With that logic Osama Bin Laden was a saint!

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

Hahahaha sometimes their reasoning is so asinine. Then they'll say how smart they are.

• dgp
    dgp
    "Who knows more about Jehovah's Witnesses than Jehovah's Witnesses?

This is so easy to beat. "If I asked the Pope whether something is wrong with the Catholic Church, would he tell me?"

If you were me, you would add "You know, I only knew about William Tyndale because I read one of your magazines...".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit