advice for grandson who wants to be emancipated from JW Dad

by tradewinds 3 Replies latest jw friends

• tradewinds
    tradewinds

I just learned that my 12 yr old grandson who resides in IN. wants no more visitation with his Dad who is a JW. He can't take going to the kingdom hall and other JW activities. His mom has physical custody and joint custody with our son They moved from WI where divorce was granted. Can our grandson be emancipated from his Dad? I worry about our future visits. Anybody have suggestions how to solve this? My son just bought a 3 bed room house and doesn't have a clue that his son is sick of JWs. Our grandson has made it clear to his Dad that he wants no part of this religion but our son hasn't listened. I am out of state and found out on facebook. His mom and relatives are not JWs, thankfully.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm sure you will get lots of support here, and lots of stories....but it sounds like you also want professional legal advice from someone who is familiar with family law in Indiana. Maybe there is some basic info on the Internet or you could find an agency who could answer your questions?

I wish I was able to separate from my jw parent when I was a kid. I went to my grandparents for help. They were sympathetic but felt powerless to get involved.

Good luck.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

YOu need to see a lawyer. 12 is very young. Try to get a consultation from a family lawyer who emancipates minors. It is not an easy standard. Clearly, it is an exception to the general rule. Much of it will be determined by the divorce decree.

Worse case scenario. Your son could view himself as a temporary political prisoner. I endured Witness stuff by making up elaborate scenarios. One time I was a spy for the FBI. They had my body by default. I wasn't willing to kill my father over KH attendance. Later, I would beg for a self-defense weapon. They can't grab your mind after a certain age.

I want to act as a children's advocate against parents imposing their views. The US Supreme Court never ruled that students could not be punished for flag saluate. They granted Amish parents rights, but not the kids. Any case involving this issue I would beg to work on in any capacity and give all my worldly possessions. I was kicked, pinched and humiliated publicly in the KH. No one said boo. Sexual tension was a constant present.

Slaves resisted in this manner.

Most lawyers will offer a free consultation. Make certain that they say "free" or "complimetnary." You can hear the broad contours of the law. My guess is he is too young. You need your own private lawyer who focuses on the particulars of your situation. If you only need information or simple advice, the fee should be nominal. No one is qualified to give advice in this setting. Law is not static. It is also very geography land based.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What your daughter-in-law can do legally depends on the wording of the divorce and custody decree and upon the state laws. As Rebel8 said, that's something requiring professional legal advice, and also on her ability to undertake a court case (both financially and emotionally, another custody hearing would be a taxing endeavor).

Outside of going to court, she needs to tell him that your grandson does not want to attend the meetings, do field service, etc. Use some psychology: tell him that forcing the grandson to go when he doesn't want to be there will only increase the boy's dislike for the Kingdom Hall. Be assertive, but not confrontational. And put it in writing, so he can't deny it (in case it does end up in court).

I wish there was a sure quick fix, but in a battle of wills that's seldom the case. Tell her to be firm, and don't give up: that's exactly what they hope she will do!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit