42% of Canadians can't read (DC Talk)

by burnedout 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• dgp
    dgp

Interesting. I guess this is made worse because the country works on the assumption that everyone can read well.

Deschooling Society, anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Deschooling-Society-Open-Forum-Illich/dp/0714508799/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307541046&sr=8-1

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Basically, if you can't figure out how your VCR works you should get some additional schooling.

Sorry, but I must vehemently disagree, dear Anony Mous (peace to you!). I have pretty good schooling and can figure out most things (even S.Ct. cases)... but the directions to electronics such as a VCR (does anyone even use those anymore?) are another thing entirely. And I don't think it has anything to do with anyone's ability to read... but other's ability to write. I mean, I'm verbose (which I humbly admit), but even I could get you from Step A to Step B with less words. And the pictures NEVER match the little alphabet designations, or at least, not in a way that makes sense.

But there is a REAON for this; some things are written in a way where the writers/publishers don't WANT folks to easily figure them out. Because THEN... they won't have exclusive/semi-exclusive rights to SERVICING those things... when they "blow" something. Which, unless they're top of the line, they will do. Just after the warranty expires. If they are top of the line, well, then, you don't wanna go messing with it yourself anyway, but would prefer to pay some special "tech" more than what you paid for the dang thing in the first place to "run diagnostics" on it to tell you what's going on... before he charges you another couple hun to fix it.

Deciphering a menu board... and the instructions to a VCR/DVD/DVR... are two totally separate animals, dear one.

Anyway... just my $0.02 and, again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Just goes to show how the Borg views the masses. Most people are stupid in their view. Also, when there are several competing statistics to represent a situation, they invariably choose the one that reflects the worst on people.

To add to Shelby's comment, technical writing is quickly becoming a lost art.

As for the dumbed-down new brochure, the "regular" version is already written at a semi-illiterate level. The "simplified" version is written at a preschool level.

• undercover
    undercover
    42% of Canadians can't read

So, JW numbers should be increasing in The Great White North

• talesin
    talesin

@dgp

My thoughts exactly - looks like an interesting book, and written decades ago. The writer was, indeed, a forward thinker.

The way the school system is set up, is a very poor learning environment for children.

t

• clarity
    clarity

This educational condemming organization has a lot to answer for, in their part in this "dumbing down' of people.

School is not important. Leave school - go pioneering...was the message. And now, how kind, a promo rag to "help those who can't read"!!!!!!!! Idiots!

"I heard this statement at the DC today (Saturday), the talk about some newbrochure to help those who can't read in order to learn the basics of the truth:

"One study finds that 42% of Canadians can not read well enough to function in society... That's right Brothers... 42%!!!!"

c

• AGuest
    AGuest
    To add to Shelby's comment, technical writing is quickly becoming a lost art.

Thank gawd, dear MS (peace to you!). Because some of us who DO think... but not necessarily "technologically"... are greatful. I'd rather be taping a show (or watching one)... which I could most probably do in the time it would take me to get through some of the "instructions" put out there.

As for the dumbed-down new brochure, the "regular" version is already written at a semi-illiterate level.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

The "simplified" version is written at a preschool level.

Look, I do enough reading in my daily life, you have NO idea. I read novels, as well as cases, contracts, legal treatises, complaints, news, email, posts, PMs, and (since folks kind of force me to) the Bible. As well as various publications, websites, versions, and commentaries ON the Bible. Just to name a few. Sometimes, I am TIRED of reading. And I don't WANT to have to call upon my college or high school learning to turn my VCR on. I just want to turn the dang thing ON. NOW! Not after two hours of in-depth perusing and studying of a technological tome that either gives me a headache or puts me to sleep so fast I don't even wanna watch the dang movie anymore. You know??

True, there are some things that NEED to be written in an in-depth, comprehensive manner. The instructions to the dang VCR... or microwave... or non-financial calculator... or camera (well, maybe, depending on whether it's a "pocket" digital... or an Canon/Nikkon SD, or something)... shouldn't be among those.

Please... just tell me: "TURN ON by pushing BLUE button"... "PROGRAM by pushing GREEN button"... "RECORD by pushing RED button"... "fast forward/reverse/pause/stop by pushing YELLOW buttons"... "TURN OFF by pushing BLACK button." Because at the end of the day that's really all it takes... and REALLY all I need. I just want to forget about all of the OTHER reading I've had to do and just enjoy my movie. Not read about HOW I can enjoy it.

See? LOLOLOLOL!

Peace, my dear MS!

SA, on her own...

• dgp
    dgp

Talesin:

For the record, Illich does not want the abolition of schools. He just says that it is not the only place where you learn, and that other learning environments should be appreciated for what they are worth. Not having a degree should not mean you can't function in society. Illich was an advocate of learning from one another, as you do in this forum.

I think you'd enjoy "Disabling professions" as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit