Published Article - Defending protection of LGBTQ Folk

by satinka 6 Replies latest jw friends

• satinka
    satinka

Our neighbourhood has seen a debate erupt in the local schools in our area. Of all things, the fundys want to stop an anti-bullying program that the schools are attempting to initiate. In response to an article in the paper, I wrote a rebuttal. Surprise! It got published!

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_vancouver/burnabynewsleader/opinion/letters/122237959.html#

Judge ye not, should apply in this case

Burnaby NewsLeader
    Greater Vancouver
    Published: May 19, 2011 9:00 AM

I read with great interest the article in the Burnaby NewsLeader called “Anti-homophobia debate packs school board meeting” (April 29). My first thoughts were, “Can anyone believe there could be a debate on this issue?” and “What is there to debate?”

I could not quite fathom that someone would protest protection against bullying of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual and Queer (LGBTQ) folk.

Having belonged (in the past) to a fanatical religion I knew at once there is only one segment of society that would protest protection of LGBTQ folk from being bullied: the religious fundamentalists. I recognized the spin, having exited such a group—in my case, the Jehovah’s Witnesses. They claim to be a “moderate” religion concerned about preserving their narrow definition of “family”—family, of course being defined as husband (man), wife (woman) plus any children resulting from said union. These so-called “special interest groups” spew hate directly from the church/kingdom hall platforms and even quote scriptures such as found in Genesis Chapter 19 to support their twisted reasoning. For example, they use the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah by God as a precedent that “proves” the God of the bible destroyed these cities because the men desired sexual relations with other men, rather than the women.

After leaving the religion, I am now feeling concern about the constant cry for more “religious freedom” emanating from these fundamentalist groups who will not openly acknowledge that they are religious in nature. They turn around and persecute and marginalize human beings who desire the same freedoms to choose their private life course. Yet our modern western society seems to put religions on a pedestal that no one is allowed to touch, lest these individuals be called bigoted. Yet, it is these very religions that are spewing the hate and propaganda that marginalize folks they judge. These religious groups feel that they speak on behalf of God, and therefore are above the law.

Fundamentalist religions probably don’t like to be put in the same box as the Jehovah’s Witnesses, but I say why not?—their spin on family values is the same. How fundamentalist religions treat other human beings will come back to haunt them. What goes around comes around. These so-called moderate religious people do not appear to be heeding their own scripture: “… For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap.”—Galatians 6:7 (New World Translation).

I suggest we treat all humans with respect, allowing each individual their exercise of “free will” to choose what is appropriate for themselves without interference, judgment, persecution or marginalization, lest it come back to haunt such self-appointed judges.

satinka

• breakfast of champions
  • satinka
    satinka

Oh my gawd...another newbie! Congratulations on taking the plunge, boc!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm impressed!

You might want to start a new thread and announce yourself. Not too many people find their way to my threads, I'm afraid...

satinka

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Thanks! I'm working on an intro.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

What is "a "Queer" person?..you have that listed seperate from "Gay" and Lesbian"..is it new?

I also wonder how long the JW's will legally be allowed to get away with their "Hate crimes"..

Good post!

Snoozy

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I thought the Canadian government had already barred this version (JW's/Fundies) of hate speech?

• satinka
    satinka

@GOrwell It seems that funadamentalist religious groups are always pushing for more freedom...in this case they are wanting to attack gays and lesbians. They want freedom to bully and condemn. Since I know how oppressive religions operate, I made a statement about their tactics. It seemed only fair and reasonable. Besides, religious groups seem to think they are above the law because "God says...."

@Snoozy I have seen the Q represented as Queer in some places, and other places it is Questioning. I like to think of them as questioning, since some highschool students begin experiementing and questioning their sexual preference at this time of their life.

The religious groups bullying pushed my buttons, since they always throw around the "persecution" word. Now, it seems they think it is okay to turn around and become the persecutors of a group of teenagers who may identify themselves as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans-sexual or Questioning (LGBTQ ).

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit