Parroting in the meetings

by dgp 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dgp
    dgp

In the one meeting I attended, I noticed that some witnesses were creative in the answers they gave to the questions, while others were simply repeating what the magazine said. I remember that, at the time, I thought the creative ones were also the smart ones, while the others were lazy, and that no doubt the creative ones would rank higher in the Watchtower.

Well, I think I have changed my mind. It seems to me that those parroting the questions are, in a way, the smart ones. At least the ones who understand things by instinct. They seem to me to be the ones who actually understood that they are just expected to toe the line, and that can be achieved with a minimum of effort. The "creative ones" might one day think too much and overstep.

What do you guys think?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It was always hard for me to answer anything interesting. The parroting coments anoyed me. We just read that! you want to repeat it again?!

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

I think that those who craft up these fabulous bullshit answers are the ones who are deeply brainwashed. Its obvious just by the way their answers are laid out. For them to answer with the skill they do, they'd have to believe 100% that they are in the right religion. And as we've all seen, the WT can take any topic and somehow twist it and relate it to the talk/subject.

The ones who answer word-for-word are the ones who haven't succumbed to the bass-ackwards thinking just yet. Think of how an innocent child answers at the meetings. Their minds haven't been corrupted with this nonsense way of reasoning. Its only when they start "accepting the truth" that the fancy crap starts flying.

• dgp
    dgp

I see. My understanding of the thing was too simplistic. You're right; there was one child, maybe a ten year old, who always answered in a fresh manner. He also used the toilet a lot.

• godrulz
    godrulz

There is a big difference between indoctrination/mind-control and critical thinking. There will be no excuse for being misled by a false teacher when we are responsible to test things with Scripture in context. In sound theological training, we learn to think and compare/contrast views. In WT indoctrination, one is not allowed to investigate independently, hold differing views, question, etc. The mandate is to accept the party line, right or wrong. It boggles my mind that one could now get DF for things that used to make one in like flint. Truly there is a difference between Christianity and cults. If my church had such a bad track record with flip flops, wrong teaching, etc., I would think twice about remaining with it.

I have found some older JWs at my door seem glazed over, robotic, in a trance parroting the stuff. The younger ones still seem to have a mind.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I must have been one of the dumb ones who was thoroughly brainwashed, because I used to try to answer in my own words.

It was encouraged (at the time I used to be a JW) to answer in your own words, because that reflected "spiritual maturity", in that you weren't just accepting things but able to "reason" (using WTS reason).

The fact that they today discourage using your own words and thoughts in answering up is a complete turn around in their thinking.

• watson
    watson

Wow, very intuitive after attending only one meeting!

• blondie
    blondie

The paragraph says

The Watchtower says

The Society says

There has been direction from on high that the conductor and responders not bring in material that is not in the article or assigned paragraphs....too much off the outline answers...

Earlier, the WTS tried to combat jws referring to them as the source of their "personal" decisions:

*** w98 3/15 p. 19 par. 4 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, “the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.” In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. Of course, suggestions as regards terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it prevents misunderstandings

And the WTS tried again:

*** w03 9/1 p. 21 Praise Jehovah “in the Middle of the Congregation” ***Learn to answer in your own words. Reading a comment from the study material may indicate that you have found the right answer, and it may be a good way to get started commenting. But progressing to answer in your own words shows that you understand the point. Our publications need not be quoted verbatim. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not simply repeat what their publications say.

And again

In a Letter to Elders April 3 2007 "RE: Guidelines for Watchtower Study Conductors" to following guideline is given:

"But this does not mean that he should introduce additional material from his own personal research and thus possibly overshadow what has been published in the magazine. Extensive research has already been involved in producing the study article, and the points to be emphasized are those included in the paragraphs under consideration. When outside material is introduced, it often detracts from what "the faithful and discreet slave" has prepared for the congregation. (Matt 24:45-47) The impression may be given that the additional information from the conductor's research is of equal or greater value."
  • paladin
    paladin

We were asked in our congregation to keep our comments short due to time limits. So, parroting seems to be common.

• little witch
    little witch

Interesting observation. thank you blondie for posting the "official" instructions. Isn't it interesting to know that members do want a personal opinion and try to do so within the perameters set for them? You can't fight human nature. we are inquisitive beasts after all and the meetings bore everyone to tears.

blondie, you are a gem and a treasure (arrrrr matey)LOL. I so appreciate your ability to focus your comments. You always use the literature to prove your points and are never inflammed by your passions. I just want you to know that I appreciate you so much. Your work is a legacy!

LW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit