THE INTERNET - The Means For A Global Revolution?

by sizemik 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

When the proles stand up to shake off The Party, The Party will simply pull the plug on our communications network. Without communications there is no revolution. We operate at their sufferance.

Internet as a way to organize against local tyrannies like in Uganda? Sure.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Internet can help people take action. Action is still the bottom line, as it was in egypt. Unless govt and corps run into some kind of opposing action, they won't change.

The internet is a force for educating people, teaching them to be able to sift out truth from bull crap. God knows, there's lot of bs flooding the net, and a lot of people are falling for it. It may take decades for enough people to learn enough and for them to be able to take enough action bring fundamental, positive change to the world.

The govts and corps aren't going to take this lying down. They are already made up of people who are smarter and more educated than the average person. Plus, they have at their disposal all kinds of experts that have been and are advising them on social manipulation. The art seduction of the masses goes back to britain, in modern times, at least. The people have a lot of catching up to do.

I was surprised at the anti-assange/anti-wikileaks force, even here, on the board. It shows what we are up against.

S

• sabastious
    sabastious

Google's leverage power should have been raising eyebrows for years now. When, not if, Google is challenged by either the Federal Government or some other entity they will silence them with black mail.

Google vs China within the next 10-15 years in a battle for the globe.

-Sab

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sizemik:

!

CC

• sizemik
    sizemik

@Joliette I think it is wonderful too . . . and as Herbie said . . . with so much potential for the future if embraced for what it can achieve. As more awareness of it's power for good is realised, I hope we can see this power increase,

@DanaBug Glad you've seen the true potential. I signed the petition too. I noted also that the existence of the petition became newsworthy in itself . . . creating further awareness. Hopefully this trend will continue.

@jean-luc picard It's all about the exposure I guess. What the trend seems to indicate is that previously "unheard" voices now have a greater chance of being heard . . . a threat for anyone who wants to hide . . . Borg included. Their "day" is not far away I feel.

@wobble Yes there are those that would rather it did not have as much influence . . . but will they be able to prevent it in the long run? People are already developing the appetites for greater freedom.

@Broken Promises Thanks for the link . . . a prime example.

@WTWizard This type of freedom will have enemies . . . we must protect it at all costs if we can

@mindseye Great comparison to the printing press! Those in power do not have the control they want or need to succeed anymore. Awesome times indeed!

@Wasanelder Once Tongue in cheek? A petition is not spam surely . . . except by a very loose definition.

@Found Sheep They will not survive unscathed I believe.

@Mad Sweeny The Orwellian model will not prevail here I believe . . . but it will be interesting.

@Satanus The good thing about the internet is that misinformation can be exposed as quickly as it appears. But yes, the intelligentsia have the upper hand and there is still a wide gap that needs to close first.

@Sabatious I guess at some stage an altruistic incorruptible core must form the heart of anything successful . . . any chance of that?

@CoCo Thanks for the vote of support. It would be nice to see things trending better for the following generations.

Hopefully as the power of this media grows even further, those that recognise it's value will fight to preserve it harder than those who would destroy or restrict it. Whatever it's future I feel we should embrace and support this trend, contributing to it at every opportunity. While it may not be a panacea to the worlds ills, it may well be the best opportunity on a Global scale to, over time, make some significant social, economic and political improvements for all the worlds inhabitants.

Disinterest, apathy and complacency could see the best opportunity for positive change become a lost opportunity in some future generations memory. That would be a shame.

• wobble
    wobble

I think the power of the Internet is here to stay, but the revolutions that have occurred so far that were started or fueled by the net, soon ran out of steam, the old rulers soon got back in power, or the new ones were as bad as the old,and often dismantled hard fought for freedoms.

A revolution may be easy to start using the Net, but real, sustainable change takes a lot more than the Internet world can offer.

The hungry for power bulllies come to the fore, and seize rulership, and the people buckle with the effort of fighting yet again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit