Anyone here converted Buddhism?

by foster 18 Replies latest jw friends

• foster
    foster

I would really like to talk to some Ex-JWs that have converted to Buddhism, specifically SGI but any branch would be great. I converted in 1990 but was raised JW from birth. My father was an elder my mother a regular pioneer. If anyone is or knows someone hit me back.

Thanks!

• sabastious
    sabastious

My therapist I have went to for three years is all into Zen and Buddhism. I was a witness when I started seeing him so he pretty much lived through my exit with me.

It's basically the concept of giving up all control and gaining all control at the same time and then flying away into the moonlight like Neo at the end of the first Matrix. It is a crazy self journey and narcissism is one of it's traps.

-Sab

• foster
    foster

Well I am some what fimilar with Zen, however Zen does not really encourage one to study the sutras. I have found my Buddhism to be a great support and enhancement to my life. How long ago did you practice and any reason why you quit? Did you study any other forms of Buddhism?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    How long ago did you practice and any reason why you quit? Did you study any other forms of Buddhism?

I have never studied it. I have just observed my therapist (he's kind of like a friend in an odd way) as he treads his path through Zen. He's a blind idealist, but I have always have had a soft spot for idealism.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm more of a Taoist than a Buddhist because once I grokked the Tao I felt no need for an organized religion, even a relatively free and loose one like Buddhism. We may not be on the same page but we're on the same bookshelf.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    We may not be on the same page but we're on the same bookshelf.

What happens when there is an earthquake?

-Sab

• foster
    foster

OK I started my studies with all the major religons and got really interested in TAO love the Tao de Ching. But I found Buddhism to have so much more depth to it and much more explanation to what life is and how it works including a blue print to life. Would like to talk to you more about this. Also to hear how you made the change. If your open to contacting me.

• blondie
    blondie

I live near a large center for (Tibetan) Buddhism. The Dai Lai visits fairly reguarly. Quite a few non cultural Buddhists practice in this area. Others take some of the precepts and apply in their lives, not necessary putting Buddha in it. I studied Buddhism in college but have found that in many faiths what is on paper does not always live up to the history and daily actions of members. Also, there are several schools of Buddhism as well.

http://www.deerparkcenter.org/NewFiles/facilities.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_Buddhism

• agonus
    agonus

Not a buddhist but respect the wisdom contained therein. Many principles parallel those of Christianity, esp. the aversion to aggression. There is something to be said for giving up control, which is also what Christ preached to a degree (i.e. surrender, trust in Him/God/higher power).

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I enjoyed this PBS documentary on Buddhism. I am most aligned with Buddhism, but not a practicing Buddhist.

http://video.pbs.org/program/1418068074/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit