Is this faith.....or something else?

by journey-on 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• journey-on
    journey-on

A JW relative tells me that she still has faith we are in the last days and will see Armageddon before she gets too much older. She will endure to the end.

Yet, in other conversations we have had, she talks about how she and her JW elder husband sock away as much money as they can into their respective retirement plans. She would love to pioneer full time, but needs to work till she is 66 years old so she can get her full social security benefits. They just purchased additional life insurance because it is cheaper to get it now than wait till they are older when the premiums are unaffordable. They are thinking about putting a new type of roof on their home now while they are both still working because it has a lifetime guarantee and they won't have to worry about it during retirement.

Wouldn't you think that if you had REAL faith like the bible describes it, you wouldn't be concerned about these things.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Hedging their bets, since they aren't dumb and have seen this "system drag on" for some time now.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

You'd think that, right? I almost can half-respect the Heaven's Gate & Koresh crowd because they at least put their money (and guns) where their mouths were. Poor Jehovah's Witnesses are so damn delusional that they honestly wouldn't even know what real faith or belief in anything is in reality. They are incapable of thinking unless the WTBS tells them what to think, and even then those beliefs are abstract as evidenced by what your talking about in your post.

Good thread.

• journey-on
    journey-on

"Hedging their bets"....yes, baltar. That's exactly the "something else" they have.

I almost can half-respect the Heaven's Gate & Koresh

Mr. Falcon, I was thinking the same thing about the JWs that sold off everything before 1975 to go into the full time work. As much as we belittle their ignorance, they at least demonstrated their FAITH!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Recently had an elder explain to me how he will have enough years accumulated to retire at 57 and draw full pension and his strategy on how to be able to afford to do this, etc, etc..

He is only 40 years old. I said I was bewildered that he was planning for this system to continue another 17 YEARS.......???? Let the backpedaling begin....

• journey-on
    journey-on

I don't think the WTS has FAITH in their own words. Otherwise, why would they be making business decisions based on years-ahead forecasts?!

I guess the r&f are simply mimicking what they see in their leaders......shaky faith. (oxymoron?)

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I don't think the WTS has FAITH in their own words. Otherwise, why would they be making business decisions based on years-ahead forecasts?!

In all seriousness this is a very insightful observation. Good work by you, journey-on.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Thanks, Mr. Falcon. If I wasn't such a chicken about losing communication with friends and family, I would ask these questions to them?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

A JW relative tells me that she still has faith we are in the last days and will see Armageddon before she gets too much older. She will endure to the end.

Sadly she has been psychologically and emotionally taken in by the WTS. Corporation's invested fear mongering.

All of the plying indoctrination processes have been laid into her, that mankind is living in the last days and all would be wise to join the

WTS. and do as they say and tell. Unfortunately for her and alot of people they don't have expansive study of human history, to contravene

or put in place what the WTS. has been proclaiming for such a long. Retrospectively you could say that the middle ages or even in the biblical era

had far worst conditions for mankind to live in. Nevertheless as long as there are men willing to sell this concept they will acquire power and money

from people who are innately insecure or are suffering from other unstable psychological states and they will be lured into subjected devotion toward

these men.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I doubt if there is any true faith among JW's. I always had doubts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit