My JW Friend's Birthday Is Coming Up. Should I Say Happy Anniversary?

by InterestedOne 10 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Meaning the anniversary of the day she came into the world. Would a JW typically be offended by that? She's a convert and a true believer. I don't want to offend her, but I'd like to acknowledge her birthday in some way.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

She would probably take it as saying happy birthday.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Just say happy birthday to her. It's up to her how she wants to react.

• pirata
    pirata

I would say "Happy one year closer to your death". When she asks why you can quote the scripture "the day of one's death is better than the day of one's being born", which tends to turn up in articles that say why we should not celebrate birthdays.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I would tell her that "I hope you do something special for yourself today"..and smile..then if she asks why you can say, "isn't today the anniversary of the day you were born?".

Admit it or not, we all like to be acknowledged as special once in a while..even tho they may act differently I think she will take it to heart..

Snoozy

• White Dove
    White Dove

Snoozy,

I've thought before that deep inside, JW's love to be acknowledged on their birthdays and receive gifts at holidays.

I sure did.

I think it's in people's natures to be thought of as special, sometimes.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I dont think the average JW would mark a difference between happy birthday and happy anniversary.

Why not tell her that you realise that she doesnt celebrate her birthday, and that you respect that,

but you want to wish her a happy birthday, as a demonstration of your affection for her.

Then give her a hug, or a kiss on the cheek. I'm sure that, inside, she will be delighted.

• wobble
    wobble

JLP is right, that is perfect advice.

Back in the days when I was JW, I associated with an extremely laid back Congo, there was a group of us born on the same day, not the same year, this included the P.O ,and a pioneer, but we all used to 'phone eachother on the day and say Happy Birthday and laugh, 'coz we knew some JW's would think we had just tried to "Raise the Devil" or something, just by uttering those words, it was fun.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

ooooooooooor say nothing. If she doesn't want to acknowlege her birthday and doesn't celebrate it, respect her belief (regardless of how ridiculous it may seem) and ignore the day.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why spend the money and time on something as trival as birthday parties?

It's illogic is why I don't celebrate.

Same with Christmas. It is as if when people are born, they inherit some responsibility to shop for others for Christmas,

by the question "have you done your Christmas shopping"? For real people.

Do people automatically believe in hellfire when they leave the faith?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit