Most hated Bible stories....

by PopeOfEruke 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bang
    Bang

waiting,
    Hi. My background? Not a JW, not now, before or ever. Close relatives were abused by them, not within their religion, but actually abused. I find that I can be quite indignant at everything they stand for; that their study and learning is the epitome of what is dark and in the dark - the ways of modern day pharisees.

A bit caustic? Well, maybe; I often try not to talk down at people, but when it comes to JWism I can be up-set, and it's particularly upsetting to see how people have moved on from the org. but remain in the same mind-set, unspiritual, even afraid or defensive of teachings.

The JWs here are referred to as jovies, de-scribing a smiling people interested in fine things for their own, but about others they couldn't really give a shit; in fact, a personal gain stemming from hating, lying, or shunning etc. is welcome.

waiting, the red tent is a modern romance/drama story, maybe good for teaching but simply not the history of Dinah.

And pope, if you're 'not of this world' you'd know your children were going to be ok.

And tyydyy, didn't the JWs ever acknowledge that Jesus descended into hell? For some people, Easter Saturday is perhaps the most holy day they know, important to revelation of the paschal mystery.

Bang

• sableindian
    sableindian

I just posted this about Dinah

Dinah, Guilty or not guilty

In a publication called "My Book of Bible Stories" is the story of Dinah. It is implied that she is the start of the downfall of a nation and the corruption of her brothers. And that she went out to see girls she was not to go and see.

But who does the Bible blame and what is the story here? What, also, does it say about the ones who brought on the implication?

Let's peak into the book of Josephus. An historian used by Jehovah's Witnesses.

In Book 1 Chapter 21 verse 1 it states"...Now as the Shechemites were keeping a festival. Dina, who was the only daughter of Jacob, went into the city to see the finery of the women of that country."

I don't know, but I can go window-shopping without having to make friends with any of the people in the store. Call me crazy, but, hey, that's just me.

There are a couple of things wrong about this story. But biblically, there is a different story.

A story where Jehovah, Jesus, Jacob, Josephus, the brothers and Shechem never blame Dinah for the horrible things done to her or others.

Jacob made a covenant with Shechem and his father. They were not strangers.

And what about all those widows, fatherless, grandfatherless, etc. females left over? Check out Genesis 34:28,29 and 35:1-5 and see if Dinah had plenty of girl friends to hang out with now?

I guess somebody missed that part of the Bible story.

Now would it make sense to make a lesson of bad association and then have all the bad people just come and join in with the family? Wouldn't have made more sense to show her brother, Judah, with HIS bad associate who he hung out with and ended up going to a prostitute (so he thought)? Here is a classic case, Judah, off from home, (married mind you) hanging with Hiram his homey and they see a 'Canaanite' mama.

I always wondered why they picked Dina over Judah's wrong doing. (Genesis 38)

So you tell me. Was Dinah guilty or not guilty of starting all this...trouble?

• Swan
    Swan

I have two most hated stories.

The story of Jepthah's daughter bothered me. Poor girl never got any!

The other story was the Ethiopian eunuch. Why did Apostle Philip go to all the trouble of baptizing him when the Apostle Paul turns around and supposedly bans queer people? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Tammy

• nilfun
    nilfun

The story of Jepthah's daughter (Judges 11:29-40) is also one of the bible stories that I hate. I read it in the KJV and it seems that she not only "never got any", she was offered as a burnt sacrifice (??)

Yeah, sableindian, the story of Dinah, I hate that one too. 
    Was Dinah guilty ... of starting all this...trouble?
    No.

Edited by - nilfun on 25 September 2002 3:14:18

Edited by - nilfun on 26 September 2002 2:55:30

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

The prodigal son never seemed fair to me. The son who stayed home and helped his father had every right to be jealous!

• Matty
    Matty

I hate the Jephthahs Daughter story as well, in fact I started a thread about it back in May, and I don't start many threads!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=26906&site=3

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

Someone metioned Job but did not really get into the gory details. I won't quote per-say but anyone who was raised JW will know what I'm talking about.

This man's 7 sons and 3 daughters were killed for no reason. He was covered with boils. 7000 sheep, 3000 camels, 500 spans (what ever the hell that is) of cattle. 500 she-asses stolen or killed. There were also the numerous servants that were killed by the raiding bandits taking his animals. I also liked how his wife was portraid as some nagging, senseless, God hating bitch. I also liked how Job blamed him self for this and cursed his birth ( AHH new light into how birthdays are bad).

But it's all OK because he was rewarded 10 fold and the senseless deaths of his prior family mean nothing because Jesus would be born soon and he didn't know about the resurection and paradise earth. BARF!

TT

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Job always bothered me as a witness. Of course, it fits perfectly with JW theology: "So your family has been killed? Don't worry, we'll get you a knew improved BIGGER family! Happy now? Yes, that's my good little worshiper of Jah..."

And Dinah, can anyone explain to me why I should believe she was raped? Did I miss a scripture or something? If I remember correctly, her brothers decide to go on their rampage because shechem "violated" their sister, but to their way of thinking, consensual sex outside of a parent arranged marriage is a "violation".

Edited by - SixofNine on 25 September 2002 10:26:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit