A lttle conversation with my cousin

by mrsjones5 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I put the following on my facebook status May 20

Omg, I think I shouldn't let my youngest watch the news anymore. He's freaked out about tomorrow being the so-called judgement day. :-/

and this is the response I got: FB friend: :( oh no! Kids are so vulnerable to that doomsday crap. Me: I know especially kids like Joshua. He keeps asking me how we can stop it. :-/ Cousin: Show Joshua 1 Thessaionians 5:2 "...Jehovah's day is coming exactly as a thief in the night." That's what the Bible really teaches. A thief does not use billboards and brochures to announce his break-ins, right. These people claim to be iinterpreting the Bible. Tell Joshua not to worry. Read to your self verses 15-26 and see if you can find some comforting words for him. Love you guys. Me: Thank you for the sentiment cousin. Joshua's doing better today. Cousin: I'm glad to hear he's doing better. It angers me that those people don't take into account how frightening that noise could be for children. Me: Yeah, stuff like that used to frighten me as a child. I learned to tune it out over time. My cousin, who I love dearly, does little nudges like this from time to time with me. My last comment was my nudge back. It's amazing that she doesn't realize what she just said. And before anyone says anything this conversation was not in an email nor was it through personal message, it was not private. It's on my fb newsfeed and any one of my friends can access the conversation.
  • talesin
    talesin

Yes, my parental units had a lot of criticism for the Amish for their shunning practices, after Oprah did a show on it a couple years ago ... "how cruel!" said they.

It's really astounding.

tal

• snowbird
    snowbird

As my g'ma who lived to be 104 used to say, they can't see for looking!

All is quiet on the JW front down here.

Hope they're thinking.

Syl

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I have decided to say things like "What a horrible thing to say to a child, of course I won't tell them that".. Turn it back on them and make them look like the child abuser they are by telling kids all that stuff and giving them nightmares for years..shame on her!

Snoozy, holding no punches..

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, that what I tried to do with my little poke. My cousin and I are born-ins. She knows that only way I would have heard about judgement day aka "the great tribulation" as a child would have been in a kingdom hall. That was my little turn back.

• undercover
    undercover

Good little dig, mrsjones. You don't specifically criticize anyone or group by name, yet since your cousin knows you well, they get the exact import of your statement.

Was there any other responses or just the sound of crickets chirping as the FB world whizzed on by?

• nugget
    nugget

It is surprising that she doesn't see the implications of what she is saying. You did a good job giving her a nudge back.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Crickets, UC, crickets

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

I would expect that she probable didn't even get it!

Most dubs are oblivious to this stuff because after all they would never do such a thing. 1975 is too fare back to remember.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well she's 5 years older than me and would have been almost 15 when 1975 rolled in so I bet she does remember what went down but I'm thinking there's a lot of denial going on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit