ANy idea on the media coverage when the end did not come in 1975?

by on the rocks 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• on the rocks
  • sizemik
    sizemik

They gotta feel almost as stupid as Camping for even reporting it!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

There was surprizingly very little said in the media about this:

- I do recall one newspaper reporter in Australia making some sarcastic observation that "Armegeddon may be late!"

- Apart from that, the only other media commentary that I have ever heard of was from John Dart, the Religious Affairs editor of the Los Angeles Times. Hereported that JWs had expected the end of the world to occur during the fall of 1975, but that now, this "isn't all that certain."

Fred Franz's predictions could not have been that newsworthy! (I wonder why?).

Bill.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Had the internet been around in 1975 i would bet that the whole world would have been aware of the WT prediction and shared in a global ridiculing

like is happening to Camping's lot.

But, back in the day, nut jobs predicting the end were not able to really get the message out .

oz

• luna2
    luna2

Its almost funny looking at it now. JWs with their marketing slogan of Advertise, Advertise, Advertise and devoted idiots marching door to door trying to sell magazines could only reach so far. Their cries of 1975 got nothing like the world-wide attention that Camping and his relatively tiny number of followers have because of the internet.

JWs and the GB don't have the fire and zeal that they once did or they'd be using the internet to reach more people. They seem to be afraid of it...either because they don't want to look like fools when called on their errors (like Camping) or because they can't control it. Much harder to rewrite history when its all been online. The world was a much more controllable place when the only means to publicize was the printed word or a local radio broadcast. You'd think that if it was so important that they reach the greatest number of people that they'd take advantage of something like the internet. I can understand them not jumping into television because of its cost, but the internet is practically free. Ah well, its not like it makes any sense anyway.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

This is how I remember the pre-1975 era. Yes, there were a lot of talks at the meetings about 1975, a lot of talk among the witnesses to one another, but, unlike Camping, we never talked about 1975 when we were in field service unless we found someone who was interested. Even prior to the 1975 hoopla, we were always told to put the emphasis of our message on the wonderful new world that was right around the corner instead of destruction of Armageddon. Tell 'em about Armageddon later. That may be another reason why the media didn't pick up on it.

I recently watched a doomsday religion documentary on TV that never even mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses but plenty of other groups.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This rapture date received an inordinate amount of attention compared to others. Yet, there were hardly any actual believers compared to the Witness hoardes. It may have been a precise date and time that people thought more ridiculous than a whole year.

I have a New York Times addiction. Sometimes they cover things and I wonder why. The vast majority of articles are required but there is a subset of whatever suited the reporter's fancy. Since they are hardly ever hard news, they have a different writing style that I like.

1975 should have received more attention. It was only mentioned as a side about the Witnesses. Did this man have a denomination? Never underestimate TV or radio over knocking on doors like the extinct Fuller brush man.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Yes, 1914 and 1975. I wonder if there have been any comparisons.

JWs downplay that so much now. Their key phrase is that "very little was written" about it, thus 1975 was blamed on individual speculation beyond what the WTS claimed. But, of course, since when has any witness had an independent thought? It was all their hype then they bailed. But those sticking with them are worshipping them as a "god" and they have to keep that golden image shining.

From my perspective, it is sort of getting exciting. The focus on the Bible believers.

Christ came here the first time to become a sacrifice. This time, I'm here to separate the "wheat from the chaff." The scroll I must eat is bittersweet. So sweet to the taste, like honey, eternal life for the righteous, renewed closeness to the Creator. But bitter because the MAJORITY of the world's current population will not enjoy the millennium. There will be a massive killing off of a lot of people, but these are not innocents but unworthies, as is so clear. Those angels of death are not going to bat an eye. If you are not marked and separated off, then your end is certain. But then again, of what clear use would one be who does not appreciate the gift of life God has given?

Getting to this point has been a long, painful process. God doesn't need to rush the last few seconds.

Anyway, the WTS is now in spiritual darkness so the focus on what Jehovah is doing in the world is clearly going to be elsewhere.

LS

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

It is not as if little was ever put into print by the WTS about 1975:

- Much was written about this date in the Awake of October 8, 1966, page 19 (so much, in fact, that when my non JW mother finished reading this article, she concluded "they are saying Armegeddon will happen in 1975.")

- The date was mentioned again in the Watchtower of May 1, 1968 (page 272)

- In case anybody slept through that one, the Watchtower of August 15, 1968 (page 494) ran an article entitled "Are you looking forward to 1975". On page 499 of that same magazine, it used the expression "weeks or months, not years" to describe the time interval between the completion of 6000 years of human existence (i.e. the fall of 1975) and Armegeddon.

- Then again that same year, Awake of October 8, 1968 featured an article "Is it later than you think". That, too, had much to say about 1975.

What was said may well have exceeded what was written about 1975; but still, enough was said to still be damaging.

Maybe this just proves that their two magazines are mainly destined to go straight onto landfills!

Bill.

• Violia
    Violia

1975 was major among jws, but we seldom told others while in FS, at least to my memory. As others have said, had cable news and the Internet been around it would have leaked out and been a huge embarrassment.

I know everyone's laughing at Mr. Harold Camping but at least he put his ( and others) money where his mouth was. If jws wanted to they could do exactly what he's done, advertise the good news of God's kingdom.

The NY Times would most likely have only one reason ( as was the same reason everyone else had) and that was to mock Christianity.

I laughed too, and yes it is funny- rapture party's, but look what this one guy and a handful of followers did! He nearly got the entire world's attention , and that is actually amazing.

I think there is a group who when hearing this actually hoped it was true. Just like the jws pray for this wicked old system to end, others do also.

We want to believe in miracles and Christ's return. I know I do.

Yes, there is not the fire and zeal among jws to preach about the great tribulation and Armageddon. My gparnets who became jws during ww2 are not the same folks who are jws today. they are weak today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit