Stephen Hawking interview by Guardian: There is no Heaven

by behemot 19 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Behemot:

I read his article and I don't care one way or the other. I suppose because he is an expert on the physical universe and has not seen evidence of the heaven spoken of in the bible that therefore there must not be one. But, what if heaven is something not visible in telescopes? What if it is another dimension maybe?

Even though I lean towards agnosticism and definitely am a skeptic I am not necessarily convinced of his view.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In science it isn't a matter of being convinced that something does NOT exist. The burden of proof is on anyone claiming that something DOES exist. In the absence of evidence supporting existence, science must proceed as if it doesn't exist. It isn't about belief. If heaven exists, produce evidence that shows such a place is likely. Even if one produced evidence that such a place is possible, science could at least do something with that.

But there is no evidence.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

How does he know there is no heaven?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

How does he know there is no heaven?

Good question. Was that a scientifically falsifiable statement?

• Giordano
    Giordano

As Mad Said. Also:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and there's none here"

• undercover
    undercover

I guess he's not looking forward to the rapture...

• tec
    tec

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

I'm not afraid of death, and I believe in an afterlife. How can someone so smart make such an ignorant comment? Perhaps because he should stick to science, since that is what he knows?

Tammy

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    "Was that a scientifically falsifiable question?"

I was just wondering what Hawkins motives are here - he seems quite definitive in his terminology.

He recently stated that the universe did not need any creator because "Gravity" exists.

Hawkins got blasted in the UK press for this becuase the obviouse question was then "Where did gravity come from"? The silence from the Hawkins camp was deafening in response.

The science community do themselves no favours with this sort of rhetoric.

Hawkins - very smart - most of the time....

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

He recently stated that the universe did not need any creator because "Gravity" exists.

But even that is unproven. His multiple universes theory is unproven. Additionally, he is on the record as stating that any events before the Big Bang are empirically/experimentally unverifiable, so he has said anything before that can't be proven in a scientific manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit