Jesus will come as LIGHTNING IN THE SKY!

by psychiatric 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• psychiatric
    psychiatric

OK, so the witnesses will tell you until they are blue in the face, what they hold is the TRUTH, and that Jesus HAS returned already! (supposedly in 1914, due to some bizarre calculation of theirs)

But didn't Jesus say on MANY occasions, (several times in Chapter 24 Matt) that Many will Come about and say there is the christ! or he is here , or he is there!

BUT: that you will KNOW when his second coming is here, as it will be like LIGHTNING in the sky!

Well i have my doubts about this organization and if it really is the "truth"

I wonder what a witness would say about this? because Jesus says that you will just KNOW it, as a sheer matter of FACT! because it will be just like lighting in the sky!

And yet.... i hold my doubts to the witnesses...so how can Jesus have returned already???

• sabastious
    sabastious

Jesus could have returned the second he died because he was turned into a martyr. Martyr's come with a very special cause and effect. Low and behold here we are 2000 years later quarrelling about what he allegedly said. He sure did leave an impression.

-Sab

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

c t russell said jesus had a invisible return and has been invisibly present since 1914 ruling in the midst of his enemies.

they took this stand after 1914 came and went with no visible jesus.

instead of russell admitting he was wrong about his "pyramid" date, he lied and said he was right, jesus returned like russell said but "invisibly".

you see, if he would have admitted then that he was wrong, he would have been admitting to being a false prophet. and then he would lose all the smart people following him.

so the bible is VERY CLEAR about jesus return.

every eye will see him.

if anyone tells you he is here or there or in the wilderness or in the inner rooms, do not believe him.

he comes with the clouds.ETC.

Humans will KNOW when the real jesus shows back up. you won't need to ask. it will be something that we have never witnessed as humans in this generation.

the "inner rooms" scripture is great. i remember jdubs telling me that the "inner rooms" ment the congregations. then if you find the right scripture, jesus tells you that anyone telling you that he is in the inner rooms is a false prophet. HA HA!

real jesus has not returned yet. otherwise we would already know about it. case closed.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, then there's that ot scripture, where it says that he lands on the mount of olives, it splits, and jews use the valley to escape, or something like that. Prior to that, his appearance is so bright, that the sun is blotted out, ie, he shines brighter than the sun. I don't believe this, anymore, but, it's clearly there, in the bible.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Zech14:3 Then the Lord will go forth and fight against those nations as when he fights on a day of battle.
    4 On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives, which lies before Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west by a very wide valley; so that one half of the Mount shall withdraw northward, and the other half southward.
    5 And you shall flee by the valley of the Lord's mountain, for the valley between the mountains shall reach to Azal; and you shall flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of King Uzziah of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.
    6 On that day there shall not be either cold or frost.
    7 And there shall be continuous day (it is known to the Lord), not day and not night, for at evening time there shall be light. NRSV

S

• flipper
    flipper

Jesus will come as Lightning in the Sky ........... or he won't come at all. I think the latter is true

• Satanus
    Satanus

"The lord" is jesus is god, of course;)

S

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Hi, strymeckirules!

You wrote: "c t russell said jesus had a invisible return and has been invisibly present since 1914 ruling in the midst of his enemies. they took this stand after 1914 came and went with no visible jesus. instead of russell admitting he was wrong about his "pyramid" date, he lied and said he was right, jesus returned like russell said but "invisibly". you see, if he would have admitted then that he was wrong, he would have been admitting to being a false prophet. and then he would lose all the smart people following him."

Russell actually believed that Jesus was invisibly present from 1874. He did not change this view when 1914 didn't lead right into Armaggedon. If I remember correctly, the Society taught the 1874 date for the beginning of Jesus' invisible presence for a number of years (maybe until the 1930's?). It was the Society, not the other Bible Students who followed Russell's teachings, who changed the date for the beginning of the invisible presence from 1874 to 1914.

I am not defending all of Russell's views, but it is important when we discuss these things that we have all of our facts correct --- to the best of our ability --- so that when Jehovah's Witnesses or others who may read our posts do so, they will not find fault with our presentation of the "facts" (which they might view as a misrepresentation).

There are enough facts out there that show the dangers of the Watchtower Society's teachings, etc. that we don't need to, even inadvertently, misrepresent what either Russell taught or the Society teaches. I apologize for my directness... but when I was leaving the Watchtower organization, I heard some exJWs say some really outlandish things and it actually convinced me to STAY in the organization longer... thankfully I saw past the inaccuracies and read some really solid information about the JWs and I left.

My best regards to you...

Expanded-Mind

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Trust your instincts.

If what the Bible or the WT says doesn't make sense to you, it's more than likely that it simply doesn't make sense, not that there is something wrong with you and you need guidance from someone more intelligent than you, or who has space creatures putting the 'correct' messages into his brain.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

BUT: that you will KNOW when his second coming is here, as it will be like LIGHTNING in the sky! ...

... I wonder what a witness would say about this? because Jesus says that you will just KNOW it, as a sheer matter of FACT! because it will be just like lighting in the sky!

Here's the official WTS' understanding:

w74 12/15 p. 750 Who Will See "the Sign of the Son of Man"?

... his presence was to be like lightning, not in its being instantaneous and unexpected, but in its being seen over a wide area, in the open, for everyone to behold. (Luke 17:24; compare Psalm 97:4.) His followers would not keep their knowledge of his invisible presence secret, but would give it widespread proclamation. - Matt. 10:26, 27.

w89 8/15 p. 29 Do You Remember?

Why did Jesus say that his presence would be "as the lightning"? (Luke 17:24)

Jesus was here indicating that proof of his presence in Kingdom power would be seen over a wide area, enabling all who wish to observe it to be aware of the fact. - 6/15, page 8.

w93 5/1 p. 12 pars. 9-10 Shedding Light on Christ's Presence

Further, he would not conceal himself in some "inner chambers," his location being known to only a select few, that there, unobserved and undetected, he might conspire and draw up secret plans with accomplices for overturning the governments of the world and having himself anointed as the promised Messiah. No!

On the contrary, there would be nothing to hide about Jesus' having come as King, at the beginning of his royal presence. As Jesus foretold, in a global way, lightnings of Bible truth continue to flash over broad areas from eastern parts to western parts. Truly, as modern light bearers, Jehovah's Witnesses prove to be "a light of the nations, that [Jehovah's] salvation may come to be to the extremity of the earth."-Isaiah 49:6.

As you can see, particularly with the first and last quotes, the emphasis has switched from Jesus' lightning-like, evident-to-all Return to JWs' widespread preaching about Jesus' not-evident-to-all Return.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit