USS Ceasar Chavez- Si or No Bueno

by designs 17 Replies latest social current

• JeffT
    JeffT

Shelby

There have been a number of ships named Constellation, starting with a Frigate built in the late 1700's. Your Dad's ship was named after her. Ditto Enterprise. Tripoli was a battle. Kitty Hawk snuck in based on the fact that the first flight took place there, we also named a carrier "Shangri-La" based on FDR's speech that said that's was the launching point for the Doolittle raid. The Eisenhower was named after the old system was turned to hash (notice all the "except for" in Botchtower's post.

Mr. Chavez was a Navy Veteran, served 1946-48 I believe.

In which case naming a destroyer after him would be very appropriate.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Mr. Chavez was a Navy Veteran, served 1946-48 I believe.

Which, if true, coupled with his contributions to the nation, should have made this a non-issue... right, dear designs (again, peace to you!). So, again, my question: what were you trying/hoping to provoke? Because it looks like NB (peace to you, again, as well!) bought into it.

Greetings again, dear Jeff... and, again, peace to you! Thank you for clarifying! A little more on the subject?

Apparently, neither the policies or protocols are written in stone, but are subject to the whim of the Secretary of the Navy (per this excellent… and apparently authoritative… source):

“As with many other things, the procedures and practices involved in Navy ship naming are as much, if not more, products of evolution and tradition than of legislation. As we have seen, the names for new ships are personally decided by the Secretary of the Navy. The Secretary can rely on many sources to help him reach his decisions. Each year, the NavalHistoricalCenter compiles primary and alternate ship name recommendations and forwards these to the Chief of Naval Operations by way of the chain of command. These recommendations are the result of research into the history of the Navy and by suggestions submitted by service members, Navy veterans, and the public. Ship name source records at the Historical Center reflect the wide variety of name sources that have been used in the past, particularly since World War I. Ship name recommendations are conditioned by such factors as the name categories for ship types now being built, as approved by the Secretary of the Navy; the distribution of geographic names of ships of the Fleet; names borne by previous ships which distinguished themselves in service; names recommended by individuals and groups; and names of naval leaders, national figures, and deceased members of the Navy and Marine Corps who have been honored for heroism in war or for extraordinary achievement in peace.

“In its final form, after consideration at the various levels of command, the Chief of Naval Operations signs the memorandum recommending names for the current year's building program and sends it to the Secretary of the Navy. The Secretary considers these nominations, along with others he receives as well as his own thoughts in this matter. At appropriate times, he selects names for specific ships and announces them.”

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq63-1.htm

Out of curiosity (and great nostalgia), I decided to look up my father’s ships (I forgot to include the “ Ticonderoga ” which was the name I loved most. Imagine the joy of a child playing with THAT on her tongue!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_of_the_United_States_Navy

Anyway, I now wish I hadn't, as my heart is utterly broken:

CVA-63

Kitty Hawk

Kitty Hawk-class supercarrier, lead ship

Decommissioned , In Reserve until 2015—Docked at NISMF, Bremerton , WA

CVA-64

Constellation

Kitty Hawk -class supercarrier

Decommissioned, awaiting disposal —Docked at NISMF, Bremerton , WA

ARGGHHHH! My [almost] entire childhood… "decommissioned"… and about to be [partially] disposed of. Say it ain't SO!! I have to get up to Bremerton and say goodbye... before it's too late. Thankfully, I have a [tentative] plan to attend a wedding in Washington late this summer, so perhaps all is not lost (or disposed of before I get there!).

But... sigh…

Well, thank gawd, I guess, for the U.S. Hornet museum… just down the street (at the old Navel Shipyard in Alameda).

Memories… oh, memories… sweeee-eeeet memories…

Sorry. Anything about ships and the Navy makes me tear up.

I [really, really] miss my dad. He was one of the good guys...

Peace!

SA, on her own…

• designs
    designs

AGuest-

Several Right Wing politicos and talk show pundits didn't like the idea of a left leaning Mexican being given a Naval Vessel Honor.

Its always humorous to see how our majority culture likes to 'disenfranchise' (Jesse Jackson's favorite phrase) minorities in this country. Duncan Hunter, a politician close to my home tried to disway the Naval Board from selecting Mr. Chavez. I personally feel at lot of simpatico for Mr. Chavez and the work he did in California for Farm Worker Rights.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Okay, dear d (peace, again)... I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you WEREN'T trying to start a "race" war (LOLOLOL!), but only trying to see who would "come out", per se. Thankfully, only one idjit did. Speaks volumes of the Board's overall character, wouldn't you say?

My apologies for misreading your "intent" (though I am sure recent similar discussions with others may have contributed to that) and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• designs
    designs

LOL, you mean I've come off like a smart ass a time or thirty..........

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, once't or twice... or thirty times... yes - LOLOLOLOL!!

Peace, chile!

SA, on her own...

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Its always humorous to see how our majority culture likes to 'disenfranchise' (Jesse Jackson's favorite phrase) minorities in this country. Duncan Hunter, a politician close to my home tried to disway the Naval Board from selecting Mr. Chavez. I personally feel at lot of simpatico for Mr. Chavez and the work he did in California for Farm Worker Rights.

I don't know Duncan, but I will drop a name and tell you that I do know his uncle John. He doesn't strike me as being a racist, and even his wife is hispanic. I don't think his nephew and brother are racist either. There are good reasons to think the ship should receive a different name other than racism.

There are good reasons not to name the ship after Chavez, but rather after Marine Sgt. Rafael Peralta, who is also hispanic, and died fighting for his country and received the Medal of Honor. This is actually who Duncan supports for the vessel's name. After 9/11, Duncan also answered the call, and served until 2007 as a Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan. Instead of politicizing the names of our vessels, we should keep them military in nature.

Here is some information on the family.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=54273&tsp=1

http://motherjones.com/politics/2007/03/fence-john-and-duncan-hunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvHTlRRF_M

Designs you are blowing crap out of your ass about people you don't even know about. It is always an easy thing, to just call people you don't agree with racist, isn't it? It is so simple, and requires very little thinking.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Designs, it evens out. A lot of left-leaning people complained about naming aircraft carriers after Ronald Reagan and Bush 41. There are currently eleven ships named after African-Americans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit