Two possible reasons why some elders stay in the organization.

by Iamallcool 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All the elders I know have good financial situations

I don't find that to be true.

I see many losers and this is the only place where they can demand any respect from others.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

llamacool:

Back in the day when I was still a "believer", I felt that the JW religion was a place where a man who has next to nothing going for him (no college education, etc.) and who would be a nobody in the world could feel important.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

some may, but the majority no.

Most stay because they really believe its the truth.

Some may be disillusioned, but have no real alternative. That can really suck at times. The deeper you're in, the harder you can get out.

For an elder, even to quit his responsibilities,this brings up several aspects:

1) questions why ? What reason can ge give with what consequences ? If he says it is stress related, what other elders will offer help to relieve stress, but at the same time pressure him to remain. Is it health, well, its no reason to quit. Is some bad conduct ? Well further investigations are being made. Worst of all, does he have doubts ? Is he spiritual weak or even borderline apostate ?

2) Rumors will start, regardless, since the reasons for quiting are not announced. Family will suffer to some extent. Especially if the elder was known as liberal and open minded, this might backfire too.

3) His position to help others, especially family, to think about certain matters are being diminished. He even might become "bad association" sooner as you can say "governing body"

All this would not matter, if he is single and has no family in the "truth", then he could pull out easily, perhaps loosing his social envrionment, but able to build up a new one. This might be also difficult, but its more worth it than loosing his family or marriage too.

However, it all comes down to ones personal situation anyway.

Thanks for saving me from having to type anything.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I'd answer "yes".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was an elder and so was my Dad before me. I was raised in the cancerous cult of WTB$ and deeply regret wasting most of my life in it. DEEPLY REGRET IT!!

I was convinced it was actually the real 'TROOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOooOOTH' and not just a corporatation with a brand name god with 'brand loyalty'.

I woke up when I was an elder because I saw the gross inhumanity in the organization that I thought was from god. I saw how the needs of the 'flock' was just something the CoBE and his suck ups tolerated as they powertripped. How the power tripping elders would only shepherd individuals if they gained some personal prestige or pat on the back from the circus over-sneer.

I saw how letters of Pharisee proportions would come from HQ stating what policy/law was to be implemented no matter the cost to the flock.

I saw how Jar-Hoover's oily spirit' DIDN'T work in desicions but how it was just the power trippers who made such desicions.

As for TWO reasons some remain, there might be more....

• Reality79
    Reality79

'TROOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOooOOTH'

LOL WTF????

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@reality79 - I'm taking the piddle out of a couple of elders I knew who could really string that word out as if to dignify it. I actually thought it was daft. They'd actually start to pronounce it' Tuh (slight pause), roooooooooooooooth'.

A bit like those silly beggers who'd pronounce the WT$ brand name for god 'Juh HOE(great long breathy pronounciation of 'Hoe' rising and falling in pitch), vuh'.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

They are ego triped men that don't have the humility to know they are in a cult

or

They are good men that want to help

• Reality79
    Reality79

@punkofnice

Oh ok lol. I knew a few like that.

• elderelite
    elderelite

At the risk of drawing the ire if the some of the know it alls who have commented, allow me suggest a reason:

We have just as much to lose as anyone else in leaving. we choose to hide and perhaps do some small good while we lurk.

In the end whatever level of the cult you are in you are still a captive.... Yes you can leave anytime, however there is also a price some dont want to pay, me included. But to sugest thats its an ego trip is stupid and smacks of people still who still want to rebel against perceived authority.

In a perfect world, today, right now, id be in the middle
    Of the pacific ocean, drying off, just having complete my first swim of the day..... My girl would be laying next to me contendly chattering away about whatever was on her mind oblivious to the fact that i was undressing her in my mind... The day would end with the two of us on our little boat enjoying dinner, starlight and pleasent conversation.

No elder responsiblities, no congregation.... My only sense of importance would come from within and the smile of the woman next to me....

Please dont fool yourseves into thinking this elder bullshit fullfills anyones fantasies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit