The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

by snowbird 35 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

No I haven't read the book.

It seems cells were initially taken as part of a biopsy during treatment (I think it's fairly certain she consented to the treatment). But the cells that have survived were taken with a new technique after her death.

I wonder what the form would have had to say about allowing her cells to be used and whether she would have agreed to it or if it would be understandable? I suspect the vast majority of people even now would just tick that box which is why I think this is all noise.

From a legal perspective, the cells belong to whoever paid for the treatment and did all the work and training and outlay for equipment, staff, pioneered the technique etc...

Her decedents? I doubt they did much to really contribute to it all but they should of course be reimbursed if they do take part in any research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks#Diagnosis_and_treatment

• snowbird
    snowbird

I suggest you read the book.

• Simon
    Simon

Even better, and much less effort - there's a movie of it just started on HBO!

• snowbird
    snowbird

You need to READ the book.

Oprah, I fear, is not going to do Mrs. Lack's story the justice it deserves.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I left my comment before I saw the movie on HBO. I think the movie was very well done, and very moving. I feel very sad for the Lacks family, poor in so many ways, and I still feel they deserve something, but I don't know what or how much. The author of the book is a woman of integrity and a true friend to the family.

• snowbird
    snowbird

So true, Nathan.

So true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit